Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zachary3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Drain in stairwell leading to basement door clogged
    Hi
    The drain in front of the basement door (walk up basement) was clogged when it rained. My father took up 10 buckets of water, but water was coming out of the drain instead of getting into the drain. Our house is faily new (two years old) and therefore, could it be a technical problem? Or do you suspect the problem to be technical? Or could it be a debris problem. We opened up the cover of the drain and cleaned up whatever we found -- mostly sand. Where did the sand come from? I am not sure.

Any suggestions would be useful. Should we get the plumber come overto assess the problem?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Sounds like your drywell is not so dry... Sometimes contractors put these drains in and just run the pipe to an area of the yard... drop stone.. and they figure good to go.

It sounds like you guys got a good volume of water during a storm and the drywell could not handle the volume. You could try to see if pipe is blocked by using a drain cleaning rubber expansion tool (sold at home supply store) attached to hose and then push down drain a bit... turn water on... expansion bag will expand and pulse water/debris away (if you are lucky)... see what happens... but you said drain had cover so I am doubting clogged... BUT you never know.

But before that.. wait for dry day.. and just run a hose down drain... turn on and see how long it takes to back up... see what happens then.

Try these things... get back to us with answers. We will see what to do after that.

If my answer helped please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on rate this answer at top right or just below post. Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 15, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Sounds like the drain was connected to a filter bed that isn't working any more or perhaps it was simply ran out underground. Now ground water has built up pressure due to rain or raising ground water and is backfilling your basement door area. First block off the floor drain with rags or whatever. Next dig up and follow the pipe. If it just terminates in a open line then connect it to the city sewer,( Caution! Some local codes forbid dumping run off into the city sewer). Or dig yoiurself a dry well. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged basement drain [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Our basement drain and air conditioner drain along with the upper level kitchen sink drain apparently meet under the basement floor before going on to the main drain. All 3 must be connected as we can put water in any of them and it comes up in the basement drain. We have been...

Basement stairwell drain [ 6 Answers ]

I saw a question on this site about an exterior basement stairwell drain that appeared to be connected to a storm sewer instead of the household waste drain. My house, built in 1930 also has an exterior basement stairwell drain that appears to go nowhere. The basement has minor flooding during...

Clogged Old Basement Drain Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

First off, thanks for taking the time to read my post. Two months ago we moved into our 1st house - a renovated 4BR/2BA built in 1941 in Birmingham, AL. The previous owners (flippers) finished the basement and a shower was connected to what appears to be an original toilet and sink. I can't be...

Enlarging a basement stairwell drain to earth [ 1 Answers ]

I'm addressing damp basement issues. One casuse is the basement stairwell, which fills up during thurnderstorms and flows under the basement door. The stairwell has a drain that goes to earth. (Inside the basement, the center of the basement floor also has a drain that goes to earth. Our home was...

Basement stairwell drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I am having a problem with my outside basement stairwell drain. This area is about 3 feet square and the drain is about 3 inches in diameter. After a heavy and consistent rain, the water no longer drains away but starts to slowly come up the drain and flood the stairwell. If it rains...

View more questions Search