Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Feb 6, 2008, 12:43 AM
    Counting as legal marriage without being married
    I was going to post this as a question about law, but anyway. So does anyone know if you can count as being married even without legally being married, in some states? Like if you are living with someone as a couple but you never really had any legal ceremony or signed any papers... can you in some states be considered as married? And if so in which ones?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 05:10 AM
    You may be asking about common law marriage: A union of two people not formalized in the customary manner as prescribed by law but created by an agreement to marry followed by Cohabitation.

A fundamental question in marriage is whether the union is legally recognized. This question is important because marriage affects property ownership, rights of survivorship, spousal benefits, and other marital amenities. With so much at stake, marriage has become a matter regulated by law.

In the United States, the law of marriage is reserved to the states and thus governed by state law. All states place restrictions on marriage, such as age requirements and the prohibition of intrafamilial marriage. Further, most states recognize marriage only upon completion of specified procedures. A typical statute requires a witnessed ceremony solemnized by a lawfully authorized person, submission to blood tests, and fulfillment of license requirements. However, in some states, the marital union of a man and a woman can still be achieved in the most simple, time-honored ways.
    Common law marriage legal definition of Common law marriage. Common law marriage synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

This articles says nine states and DC allow common law marriage:
    Common Law Marriage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got married on Nov 1. My house owned before marriage is in foreclosure. [ 1 Answers ]

What are the credit risks to my new husband's credit? I owned the home 10 years before I got married on Nov. 1, 2007 and it went into foreclosure after the marriage. We do not live in this home.

Counting Items [ 1 Answers ]

If a variable in column A fulfills a certain condition, I have it listed in column B Column A Q W E R T

If married in different county than what is on marriage license [ 10 Answers ]

Is that an automatic divorce or annulment?

Counting technique [ 1 Answers ]

I found that a circle placed in a rectangle can be shaded in 4 different ways. First, don't shade anything. Second, shading the circle only. Third, shading the rectangle only. Fourth, shading both the circle and rectangle. The question is: Find the number of shadings possible for 2 circles in a...

34 weeks and counting [ 7 Answers ]

Well the dr said that he wants me to wait till Friday before going into labor. He also wrote a perscription to help make that possible. The babies are 4lbs 4oz and doing great. I have an appointment next week, he said if I make it that long. I am one and a half cm dialated and measuring full term...

View more questions Search