Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dyoung81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 08:38 AM
    My lab is neurotic
    I just adopted a registered chocolate lab that is 3 yrs old. She came from a family who never disciplined her at all. She is neurotic about everything! She paces around the house and constantly wants to run in and out. She goes crazy over a flashlight or even shadows on the wall. She has a obsession over cars and will jump in any car that the door is open on and refuses to get out, jumping over the seats so you can't reach her. When riding in the car, she is spinning around in circles, panting and jumping at passing vehicles. Even when trying to walk her, she will NOT stop pulling on the leash even with a pinch collar and jumps at passing vehicles like she wants to chase them. When off leash, she runs around and acts like she doesn't even hear you calling her.
    I walk her twice a day and have begun taking her to the river a few times a week for swimming to expend some of her energy. It seems that I just can't find a way to calm her down.
    I have read many books on dog training, including ones by Caesar Milan and "How to be your dog's best Friend" and have been using their techniques without much success. She has made some progress about not dashing out the door ahead of me and not getting things off the counter top in the kitchen. I am wondering if obedience classes would help her or at her age, have I just taken on a dog that will constantly be neurotic. Can anyone offer me some advice?
    Denise
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Feb 1, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Stick with it. Dog can act in so many ways. It could be the new surroundings, or even that your new lab has never received as much attention like what you are doing for her. Obedience classes is a great idea. You can never start to early. Know about your dogs behaviour like "She goes crazy over a flashlight or even shadows on the wall. She has a obsession over cars and will jump in any car that the door is open on and refuses to get out, jumping over the seats so you can't reach her. When riding in the car, she is spinning around in circles, panting and jumping at passing vehicles." I am no professional but allot of dogs do this and it would be a great opportunity to start taking some away i.e.- no flashlights, stop her when she starts to observes the shadows and so on. Keep in mind this is only a recommendation. Dogs strive for attention. I hope it works out for you. Can you please show us a picture of her.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Feb 4, 2008, 09:34 PM
    They are never too old to start obedience either! It would give her mind and body a workout. How much exercise does she get? I realize that she would get more if you could control her better on a walk! How about retrieving a tennis ball? It may take an hour or more to tire her out some, but that's the time to work on her manners. It may take one person to do the "getting her tired" work and another to do the obedience work, since she sounds like she has enough energy for several people!
    lindsayminar Posts: 51, Reputation: 6

Feb 4, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Obedience classes ROCK!! Also try an easy walk harness, or mouth leads, I've heard they work much better than pinch collars, and are less dangerous!

-Lindsay
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Feb 4, 2008, 09:44 PM
    Lindsay is right; I just posted somewhere else about a Gentle Leader Headcollar also. Love those things! Many obedience classes use them and they are so much easier on the dog and handler. You can look at them at premier.com.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

7 yr old lab having seizures [ 4 Answers ]

My fiance's dog Sam has seizures. It's really really sad! He's a fairly big yellow lab, he weighs about 60 pounds and is about 2 feet tall.. He has about 2-3 weekly. He has really really bad ears, and his family thinks it's because of his ears.. but I think differently! His ears are really swollen...

My Lab [ 3 Answers ]

From a PM ''I just read your name.. and thought.. this guy must know a lot about labs. So if you don't mind, I have a question that could use an answer I have a one year old black lab, he still bites, and he barks whenever someone is eating and won't give him any of their food.. he has his own...

11 month old Lab [ 2 Answers ]

We have an 11 month old Lab that is doing horribly at potty training. We crate trained her and she did well for a long time. But even now, she will go in the house about 3 times a week. The rest of the times she goes to the door and scratches. She is smart in other ways as she can sit, speak,...

Neurotic lab [ 1 Answers ]

My lab has become neurotic lately he is 3 yrs old

Lab looking skinny [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old black lab "Tiko", my wife has been off for the last week and he has been getting a little more exercise than normal. He is looking a little skinny and I was wondering if we should feed him a little more. My only problem is that she will be going back to work and I don't want to...

View more questions Search