Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NITRO-BTU Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Moles have to go !
    Hello people, I have a terrible problem with moles, and need to get rid of them for good. For twenty some years now, I have been using on occasion " Grub-X ". This has worked fine, but it's seasonal, and I need something that will last for years.
    I believe the golf courses use something called " milky spore bacteria and beneficial nematodes, " which kill the grubs that feed the moles. This stuff is very expensive, and I don't really know if it works; I don't know anyone that has used this stuff.
    Now, I have two questions... first off, have any of you out there used this stuff, and does it work ? Secondly, is there a substitute for the bacteria, and nematodes that would work as well, and for years to come ? Please advise, ASAP, thank-you all, Jim .
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Well one problem is the fact that a moles diet isn't as grub specific as is talked about. A good portion of their diet is earthworms.

Here's a site that I've frequented, similar to AMHD here in that is a forum site... but its run by lawncare pros for lawncare pros... you have to subscribe just like you did here...

But they have a section for homeowner questions and I've always found their help to be good.

http://www.lawnsite.com/index.php

I'm not saying you won't get good help here, its just another resource.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 06:44 AM
    If you look at the site and search the threads you'll see the pros discussing, just as we are here, what they've found effective. For them it's a financial decision and not just a running commercial. They talk all about what products seem to be working for them, and I trust the info I've received. These are guys out in their pickup trucks trying to build a business... they use that forum to get past what doesn't work and what seems to. They don't sell the cure (on the discussion boards), they buy the cure to then run a successful lawn care business. If the product tanks, they can lose accounts.

That said... my neighbors testimonial would be he talked to a mole expert and said grub treatment is good so grubs don't tear up the lawn, but it won't prevent moles... just limit some of their food. You still can get moles. His method of eliminating them is to use no less than 8 traps to kill them... and setting them all around the fresh runs. He claims that's all that works, and all the other home remedies are bunk.

I also have a friend who swears the poison "worms" that you drop in a hole cleaned her yard up. I've seen people complain this didn't work, but in her case, she swore up and down for the product.

There's two second hand testimonials that conflict, unfortunately.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Try a rat terrier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moles [ 2 Answers ]

How to get rid of yard moles

Moles [ 1 Answers ]

How many? Moles is 364g of Argon

Moles [ 4 Answers ]

how many mol of carbon dioxide is this? m(C)=12, m(O)=16

Moles [ 1 Answers ]

Why does one mole equal 6.02*10^23 atoms?

Moles [ 1 Answers ]

If 2.0 moles of nitroglycerin explodes, what is the total number of moles of gaseous products produced? 4 C3H5N3O9(l) --> 12 CO9g) + 10 H2O(g) + 6 N2(g) + O2(g) How many moles of Al(l) are produced if 4.5 moles of Al2O3(s) reacts? How many moles of C(s) are necessary to produce 3.2 moles of...

View more questions Search