Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cooltf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Home Network
    How do you setup a home network. I have a Linksys router, PC is "XP" amd 1 is "ME". I have used the wizard etc and cannot see the "ME" PC. I can see the "XP"
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Make sure File And Print sharing is turned on on both. Make sure they are in the same workgroup. Make sure there is some shared resource on both.

Jan 7, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Scott, The XP still does not see the "ME"

Thanks
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jan 11, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Do you have a software based firewall program running on either computer? If so, deactivate them and try again.

On your Windows XP machine, click on Start, Run and type CMD and click OK. At the command prompt, type IPCONFIG /ALL and hit Enter.

Look for the following lines (assuming you have a standard LinkSys configuration):
    Dhcp Enabled -should be Yes
    IP Address - should be something like 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask - should be 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway - should be 192.168.1.1

On your Windows ME machine (been a really long time for me here):
    Click Start, Run and type WINIPCFG and click OK.
    There should be an Advanced button or something like that. Click it to get all of your information.

You should see almost identical information as your Windows XP machine except for the IP address. The last number will be different. Probably 101 or 102 (ex: 192.168.1.101).

If this is the case, then your computers are on the same physical network. All you have to do from here is enable File and Print Sharing on both machines as Scott stated. Also, both of your computers will have unique names that you have given them. To see the names listed in your Workgroup, make sure that NetBIOS is enabled in the Advanced configuration of your network adapters TCP/IP configuration. If NetBIOS is disabled, the names will not be visible.

Jan 12, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Scott & Chuckhole, Thanks for the help. It works great

Thanks again for the time and help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to setup a home network? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have just purchased a wireless router for my son's desktop PC, he has direct access via ADSL to the internet. I am trying to link my laptop to his PC, so that we can both use the same internet connection.I have tried quite a few things like setting up a small home network but I still can't...

Home network access [ 1 Answers ]

I have two computers set up in my house. When I set up a home network, Ican;t access the other computer - although it can access mine. The error message is: " computer is not accessible. You might not have permission. See your network administrator." I don't understand.:confused:

Home network issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have 5 computers to hook up to my home network, one by Ethernet and the others wireless. If I hook up the older computer to the Ethernet cabel on the router it seems to slow the wireless signal down from the router to the other computers. What could cause this I have a Belkin wireless G Plus...

How do you connect to a T1 network from home? [ 11 Answers ]

If you are eventually going to work from your home for your company, are you able to connect to your companies T1 service from home and if so how do you do this?

Home Network Problems [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to setup a Home network with two XP computers. The system keeps telling me that my cable is unplugged yet after hrs of trouble shooting I can not find the problem. Everything I checked on the Eithernet card show both working properly. I even took one of the cards out and replaced...

View more questions Search