Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andosetsfire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2007, 11:36 PM
    Does my roommate have to give me/landlord 30Days Notice if he's not on the Agreement?
    Hi, I need a little help answering this one. My roommate has been here 4 months, he filled out an application with the landlord when he moved in to make him official here. But we never signed a new Rental agreement together. Today is 12/24/07, and he just told me he's moving out 12/31/07, which doesn't leave me enough time to find someone to help pay for next months rent. Does he have to give me and the landlord 30 days notice, and can he be held responsible for his portion of the rent until I find a new roomie since he never gave his notice legally? Please help me!
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Dec 24, 2007, 11:42 PM
    I'm guessing with out a lease agreement between him and the land lord or you and him the answer would be no.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Dec 25, 2007, 04:14 AM
    In absence of a written agreement, your roommate would still have to follow state/local laws in regards to providing written notice to vacate. Yes, he can be held responsible to pay for that time, but you may have to sue him in court to recover any damages cause by his failure to to give proper notice.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Hello and:

Even though he filled out an application for the landlord, since the landlord never signed him up on the lease, YOU'RE his landlord. In any case, as a month to month tenant, he is required to give his landlord (YOU), 30 day's written notice.

Yes, you can sue him. It's better, however, if you tell him that he is violating the law and you'd rather NOT sue him, but you will if he doesn't pay his last months rent.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate leaving- is a verbal agreement for the time she will pay rent binding in OHIO [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. My husband and I allowed a friend to move in to our house until she got back on her feet. Well, she's on her feet, makes plenty of money, never paid her rent on time, etc... general roommate horrors. Now, we asked her to leave about two weeks ago and that she be out by mid...

Apartment lost our lease agreement, and want us to still give 60 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Please... Help... Is this at all right? Am I still required to give a 60 day notice if the apartments have lost our lease agreement? There has been one thing after another gone wrong. I have called the corporate office, and still, no answers. Can someone give me some advice?

Roommate Violates Personal Rental Agreement, Won't Leave. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, if anyone can help me with this sticky situation please help! My roommate (now exgirlfriend) moved in recently and started causing trouble. She is not on the lease, has never been referred to as a tenant by the manager, and pays less than 10% of the total rent for her own bedroom,...

Roommate moved without much notice [ 3 Answers ]

My roommate that signed a one year lease with me told me on the first of April that she will be moved out on the 3rd of April - no 30 days notice to my landlord or anything. The lease has another 4 month on it, and she did not pay the rent in April. She now also wants to pro-rate the utility...

Tenant give landlord 30-day notice, then doesn't move.Now what? [ 2 Answers ]

Tenant in California, gives landlord a 30-day notice to move. Now 30-days is up, tenant is current on rent, but is not moving. Can the landlord file an unlawful detainer using the TENANT's 30-day notice and it will hold up? Or does landlord have to serve their own 30-day (or 3-day notice if...

View more questions Search