Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baileysangel142691 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Can I get pregnant ?
    I'm wondering, I have been on the depo shot for about 2 years and the last shot that I was suppose to get , I missed the due date just got it late. My boyfriend is against me getting the depo shot because he say's that it will mess my body up and I never thought about it until he said something. He say's that it will stop me from having kids later on in life and I don't want that to happen. I want children in the future, but not right now that's why I am on the shot, however I do want kids in about 2 or 3 years. Will the depo shot stop me from having kids and mess up my body ?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 12:40 PM
    It will not stop you from having children, but the depo shot is very well known to take a VERY long time to clear your system.

Once stopping the injection, the depo shot can take 12-18 months to get fully out of you system and allow you to get pregnant.

If you are concerned about it, stop the depo and switch to an oral contraceptive. Oral birth control clears your system more quickly for when you are ready to have children.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 20, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Yes, you will still be able to get pregnant. Depo is great for women who do not want to get pregnant within, say, 2, 3, or more years. It is a long term form of birth control. As MM said, it can take up to 18 months to get pregnant after stopping Depo.

BUT it will, in no way, shape, or form, cause you to become infertile.
    143POOKY Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Yes, you can get pregnant after getting off the Depo shot. My doctor told me it would take about a year to get out of my system completley. I was on DEPO for 31/2 years. I decided to get off it to get my body normal. I got off DEPO in May of 2003 and in May of 2004 exactly a year later I got pregnant. We were not trying but I was able to conceieve. So don't worry. But do give yourself some time to get off it...
    lulu2912 Posts: 83, Reputation: 4

Dec 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
    I was on the depo shot from jan 03 - jan 04. Then I went back to oral contraceptives because the depo caused me to gain about 25 lbs. My husband and I decided to try for a baby (we already have a son) in jan 07. I had been off all contraceptives for about a year and a half. After months of trying with no luck I went to my dr and she told me that my hormones were messed up and I had very low progesterone. I was not able to get pregnant on my own. I had to take Clomid (a fertility drug) to conceive. I am now 15 weeks 5 days pregnant. If I would have gotten all of the facts about the depo before I got on it I would have never started taking it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 weeks pregnant confirmed but not feeling pregnant [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 4 weeks pregnant started bleeding yesterday but it stopping now the problem is I'm not feeling any symptoms but then again I'm only 4 weeks are they to start around 10 weeks before my mood was at a high like I've never fely before my appetite has gone over the last few days but that might be...

Pregnant agen or still pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

Please help! Had a misscariage 4 weeks ago and now have a positive pregnancy test result, my belly feels bloated and breasts feel tender all the pregnant symptoms but if I was less than four weeks would I be getting these feelings or is it possible I didn't have a misscaraig and am still...

Getting pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

I went to the doctor and had a laproscopy done he tells me my left ovary is small and my right is large but I can still get pregnant with meds do you think this is true.

Do you wonder if you are pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

For those of you who wonder if you are pregnant, here are a few signs and symptoms as well as other possible causes for their occurrence TIME OF OCCURRENCE (GESTATIONAL AGE) SIGN OTHER POSSIBLE CAUSES Presumptive Signs (you may be...

View more questions Search