Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avalon17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Is it wrong for my landlord to charge me after moving out?
    I received a fee from my apartment complex four months after moving out from one floor of the apartment into another. The fee included a "trashout" charge and replacement of the carpet. I left the that apartment after making sure nothing was in the apartment, especially my room, and the apartment also stated that for new residences, carpets would either be steam-cleaned or replaced as part of the agreement of moving in. I moved out August 1st and it's now a week before Thanksgiving. Does the apartment complex have a right to charge me this fee NOW? If so, does the apartment need to show me evidence of the trash they had to throw out if I feel I've been fined illegally?
    swirlgirl Posts: 74, Reputation: 14

Nov 20, 2007, 03:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by avalon17
    I received a fee from my apartment complex four months after moving out from one floor of the apartment into another. The fee included a "trashout" charge and replacement of the carpet. I left the that apartment after making sure nothing was in the apartment, especially my room, and the apartment also stated that for new residences, carpets would either be steam-cleaned or replaced as part of the agreement of moving in. I moved out August 1st and it's now a week before Thanksgiving. Does the apartment complex have a right to charge me this fee NOW? If so, does the apartment need to show me evidence of the trash they had to throw out if I feel I've been fined illegally?
    I would contact Equal Housing... their phone is 1-800-927-9275. If they would not be able to answer your question, they would know where to refer you! Good Luck!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 05:06 AM
    Hello a:

From a legal point of view, these matters are usually cleared up within 45 days after you vacate. It's based on state law. I don't know what state you live in. You can look up your states law right here on this forum at the top of the page.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Did you do a walk though, and get the apartment inspection sign offed by the apartment people when you moved out? Sounds like no

So what you do now, they billed you, so what you end up doing is fighting it in court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do they have the Right to be in charge? [ 19 Answers ]

Why does the governernment have the right to be in charge? To even exist? I didn't agree to be Australian, I didn't vote to say "lets form a government" so why should I have to follow their rules, even acknwoledge their existence? Who in the first place, in history, actually said "Thats it, im...

Old Charge [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question and I really need an answer as soon as possible. Someone I know was being accused of sexual assault so he turned himself in, he was not arrested. He stood before the judge with his attorney and was given an Anger Management class because apparently there was no proof. This...

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

Charge of? [ 1 Answers ]

On one of my credit report one credit card said charge of? What does that mean?

Under Or Over Charge! [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Know If The System Under Or Over Charge Without Using The Gauge.

View more questions Search