Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KissThemGoodbye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Phone has no dial tone, but wires in house connected
    Okays people can call and they hear the phone ring and ring, but my phone has no dial tone and won't ring, but if I were to pick up the phone and someone happens to be calling at the same time I can hear it ring. I have att, and could it be the outside box, and if so how would I connect it back, cause in the house the little phone box has the correct wires connected. :confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 06:23 PM
    You could have a high resistance path in the line someplace. You need a known GOOD PHONE. Open your side of the box outside. You should see a block with a short modular connector. Remove the modular connector. Plug in your phone into the jack. If you have dial tone. The problem is inside the house. I you don't, and the phone and wire is known to be GOOD, then it's the phone companies problem.

i.e. if you take your present phone and cord and get a dial tone then it's the phone companies problem. If you use your present phone and cord and don't get a dial tone, it could be the phone company, the cord or your phone.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 07:00 AM
    You should have about 48 volts at the Outside Phone Box. Remove jack check voltage on red and green(line 1).
    Also look in wher you plug your phone into jack an verify the gold contacts are not black, green or corroded.
    Polarity not usually a problem ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dial tone [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 2 phone jacks, I get a dial tone for 15 seconds then the recorded message saying "please hang up...." my wife tells me, that we blew a fuse in that room the other day. I have checked the connections and cleaned them. Any thoughts? Thom

No dial tone [ 1 Answers ]

No dial tone in my cordless phone! Jack connected to rogers box. Another phone connected to same box is working fine. Help

Phone is active outside No dial tone w/ inside wiring [ 6 Answers ]

:( Older townhome with red green black yellow wires from jacks. Incoming lines are blue /white, orange/white, green/white, blue/red, brown/white, grey/white and vs.versa. All jacks have been disconnected and I have tested the first incoming jack with blue/white, white/blue to the red and green...

No dial tone [ 9 Answers ]

Can somebody help me with this. I just had my phoneline activated. However, when I lift the handset, no dial tone is present. But what's weird is that, I can receive incoming calls. Anybody else who shares my experience? Please give me some tips on how to resolve. Thanks in advance!

No dial tone but phone rings [ 5 Answers ]

I have no dial tone but the phone rings very low when someone calls and when I pick it up it's dead except for another low ring on other end. I live on second floor of garden apt. could the person below me have punctured the line coming up from the NID with a nail or screw maybe hanging a picture...

View more questions Search