Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PhinsFan54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Angle stop leaking
    I recently installed new "fill valve & flapper" to my toilet. Basically all of the insides of the toilet. It was leaking at the bottom of the toilet so I added a washer wich fixed that leak, but now it leaks at the angle stop. I bought some teflon tape to use to try to use at the connection of the tube to the angle stop, but was unable to unscrew the tube from the angle stop. I twist and twist the tub, but it does not unscrew. Is is possible that the angle stop and the tube are one piece? If so, what am I to do? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 09:08 PM
    PhinsFan54 - The angle stop and the line are two separate pieces, you need 2 pair of channel lock plyers or 2 wrenchs, to get them apart. Hold the angle stop with one and turn the nut counter clockwise to left (Oh make sure water is turned off:):: if not you will get early bath HaHa. Toilet tank needs to be empty also. O.K. unscrew the nut. Now if you have the plastic type riser oipe you will have to cut off close to the plastic like farrel and put on a new one (THEY ARE A LOT BETTER THEN THE PLASTIC TAPE ) . Hopefully you have enough riser pipe left. If not when you get new ferrll. Get new plastic riser pipe ( THEY ARE FLEXABLE)replace farrel. Use both wrenchs and screw nut on , clockwise, tighten down pretty tight, turn water on and check for any leaks, if none ,yourer back in bussness. You can get your parts at Lowe's home depot plumbing store. ::: HOPE IVE BEEN OF HELP HAVE A GOOD & GOOD LUCK F. B. E.
    plumberjames83 Posts: 99, Reputation: 5

Nov 8, 2007, 07:28 PM
    You can also get the braided steel one called no burst tyhey have the nuts and a rubber washer biult in so they do not leak... as for getting the old one off take it lose from the tank and pull it away but don't kink it if you plan on reuseing it and then try pulling it out from the angle stop and also make sure angle stop is off
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 08:17 PM
    I am not sure the first 2 answers are completely clear. The tube is held to the angle stop by a nut, just like the top was held to the insides of the toilet. You should be able to unscrew the nuts at both ends and remove the tube. I have had bad luck trying to reuse old metal tubes. You can buy new metal tubes, plastic, metal braid, etc. Fear of a puppy chewing the plastic might lead me to using metal. The angle stops usually have a 3/8'' compression fitting. The top seems to be a special thread used on nothing except toilets. Be sure you get the right fitting. If you choose to use a metal tube, make sure you have it lined up carefully. You must use a new ferrule with metal or rigid plastic tubes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing angle-stop [ 3 Answers ]

I need to replace my angle-stops for my kitchen sink. Never done it before. It seems easy, but I want to make sure before I do it, that I'm doing it correctly. Appreciate it, in advance.

Angle stop valve [ 3 Answers ]

Do you have any idea on how to install a stop valve under a bathroom sink? Thanks R. Koehn

Replacing hot water angle stop to shut off valve [ 5 Answers ]

My angle stop seems to be soldered to copper piping. How do I change it to keep the hot water shut oof valve from leaking water when turned off?

Angle stop valve leaking [ 13 Answers ]

My cold water supply line going to my faucet burst so luckily I was there before it got bad and also the valve still works. After replacing the hose I noticed the hot water valve was corroded and was seeping water. So I thought it would be a great idea to replace all the valves and hoses in both...

Angle stop [ 3 Answers ]

What is a standard 1/2" compression angle stop? I am installing a sink faucet supply line

View more questions Search