Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Woomanfoo Posts: 32, Reputation: 7

Oct 27, 2007, 09:26 PM
    Is Accutane the answer?
    Has anyone here used Accutane? I'm seriously considering it. I've had mild to severe acne (it fluctuates) for about 5 years now and absolutely nothing has worked. I'm kind of worried about the possible side-effects of Accutane though... Can anyone help me out?
    surfluver1212 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Accutane is a big pain in the . Mi brother is on it... when your on it you get these big scabs on your face. As well as serverly chapped lips. Also your skin drys up severely. It cost like 100 dollarsa month for the pills.. u go on it 4 six months. However you will never have a pimple for the rest of your life after you take it. Also you get nose bleeds a lot.. if you plan to get pregnant don't because your child will be deformed. You might get seisures and stuff like that. My brother has not gottn a seisure or anything... If your p for all tis go for it

Oct 27, 2007, 09:42 PM
    Hmm... I'm a guy, so I don't have to worry about the pregnancy thing. I'm aware of all the possible side-effects, so that's not the issue, I'm just wondering if other people that have taken it think that the results are worth the work. Thank you though.
    sonicvibe Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Try searching on the website acne.org. there''s a lot of information on use of accutane and side effects and photos of people with their results after accutane. It's a amazing how well the drug works once you're done with it. I was in a similar situation as you and I wasn't sure whether I should take accutane or not hearing that there were side effects. Then I decided to ask questions on the discussion board on the website what I can do to get rid of my acne. I WAS DESPERATE.

In the end, when my acne got so bad( I had like huge lumps on my face), I couldn't take it anymore and so I went to the doctor to have accutane prescribed. I'm still taking accutane at the moment but this is my fourth month and I have 3 more pills to go!! Which I am so happy for because the dryness is really annoying.

They say that it's likely your acne will get worse in like 2 weeks or something once taking accutane but it never got worse for me. I saw my skin getting better each day despite the fact that it was dry.

One thing I got to say to you is that if you're going to take accutane be prepared for SEVERELY dry lips. So later on you'll be constantly applying moisturizer on your lips. In the morning I apply moisturizer so my lips won't be dry at school. I still have to apply it at school because it wears off. For me, after 2 weeks, my lips felt thick and mouth hard to open. My mouth seemed quite numb and it was hard to laugh. In my present situation I have a crack on the edge of my lip and that's annoying.

Hmmmmm... ya... it's your choice if you want to take it. I just had to take it because my friend noticed the huge lumps and laughed "did you get beestings or something". It was a joke of course and wasn't intentionally being mean. Also people noticed at my workplace.

Acne sucks. Especially if you have SEVERE acne. Accutane sucks less than acne. I hope you choose what's best for you. Good luck!
    oreo630 Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Nov 24, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Lol how about proactive. I use it a I haven't gotten a pimple or zit in like what? 3 weeks? It works really good
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Woomanfoo
    Hmm...I'm a guy, so I don't have to worry about the pregnancy thing.
    Umm, actually you do. If you are taking accutane and get a girl pregnant, she could still have defects with the baby as it effects your sperm while you are on it.
    Farmerjohn692000 Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

Nov 26, 2007, 10:23 AM
    I've heard its bad, a kid near me killed his girlfriend and blamed his mental state on Accutane. Try proactive it worked for me sister
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Let me ask a few questions:

How greasy is your hair?
    What soap do you use for your face?
    What prescription acne meds have you tried?
    rbnhawkins Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 12:20 AM
    I have used it before and it really does work, I suffered with acne since I was 13 and it's the only thing that has ever worked for me. And I have used everything out there. It does come with some side effects but it was worth having clear skin, the only side effect that I suffered with was my lips were dry and they cracked a lot. But my face was clear without any breakouts.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 07:59 AM
    It does work for some people, I know my son has used it for a couple months and it has cleared his face up almost completely. He has had no side effects. The medication is very expensive, and it is a little bit of a hassle to obtain. But the effects are greart for him. This like any other drug may or may not have side effects that effect certain people. When prescribed a prescription, if you listen closely the doctor usually says, " we'll give this a try and see how it does". That means it works differently on different people. And I certainly hope your insurance will help cover the cost of this medication.

Dec 15, 2007, 12:37 PM
    My hair is very dry. I use Oxy acne body wash on my face, and I've been prescribed
    Retin-A, Benzoyle Peroxide, and some other topical, alcohol-y stuff all at once. I've tried proactiv as well. Nothing. Right now I'm using a Clean'n'Clear trio of stuff, plus oil absorbant pads religiously, and it seems to be keeping it at bay for the most part. It's more keeping it steady than getting rid of it. Instead of fluctuating between bad and mild, it just stays mild. It's really bad on my jaw line and under my chin. Pretty painful stuff. Thanks for all your help everyone. If this last combo doesn't work, I'm calling the Derm. And by the way, I was kidding about not worrying about pregnancy, I realize now it wasn't all that obvious. :P
    IheartEdward Posts: 203, Reputation: 4

Jan 1, 2008, 04:26 PM
    I have never heard of the stuff but reading some peoples answers, I would be pretty freaked out to use it. The best thing for spots (to me) is just cleaning your face as much as you can and use like loads of different things and you'll find the right one for you.. but everyone's different I suppose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Proactiv or Accutane The Answer [ 5 Answers ]

Someone give the 411 on these to products. I love for my black skin to be clear even though I look okay with it I would look eve better without. Someone please let me know which product is better for an african american with acne. Please someone let me know what REALLY WORKS!:eek:

Is accutane safe [ 4 Answers ]

I have fordcye. They say you can take accutane or some kind of gel. The thing is that when I read about it they make it sound harmful. Is it harmful? How old do you have to be to take it? What are the side affects? Is it safe and where can you get it.:confused:

Can you answer this. [ 1 Answers ]

AB Mekan is a workshop that makes many different products shows the following budget for the coming year: (kkr): Direct material 500 Direct labor 500 Overhead manufacturing 1 000 Total manufacturing cost 2 000 Administration and sales OH 500

Will someone Answer This . [ 5 Answers ]

How do I seriously report a slumlord ??? This lady has lost her goddamn mind!! We live in an apartment , that has 3 floors and we don't even have ANY , Maintenance at all whatsoever. No building plumber , no organized parking , no Janitor , no nothing . Every time there is a problem we have...

I need a answer [ 6 Answers ]

Find the ratio of the first quantity to the second quantity.write answer as a fraction in lowest terms. Length of a football field:360ft; width of a football field:160ft

View more questions Search