Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    criley Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Leaking spigot
    Hi-I am a woman who lives alone and doesn't want to have to "wait" for someone to be available to help fix something just because I can't. I have a leaking spigot on the outside of my house and I would just like to know step by step on how to replace it. I was told to "cap" it off, but I don't want water building up in the pipe for later problems. Everyone tells me it isn't a problem and just take a little bit to fix, but yet no one ever seems to find the time to come fix it. I want to learn how myself. Any helpers out there??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Don't worry about water bulding up inside, it does not work that way. Water is always bult up in a system. Shut off you house main is the first step but we need to know more about the spigot since it could be lo-tec brass spigot or even a frost proof copper/brass fixture. If its just a brass spigot with w T knob you should be able to unscrew the nut under the knob with a pipe wrench or cresent. Once the cap is unscrewed turn the knob counterclockwise until the tsem comes out. Take it to the hardware store and ask them for a washer that fits. Before you go to the store stick your pinky into the stem hole and feel the seat the washer presses againist, you are checking for scratches or burrs on the seat that must be ground always if present. If you feel burrs come back here and tell us so we can walk you through that step.

Oct 15, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Don't worry about water bulding up inside, it does not work that way. Water is always bult up in a system. Shut off you house main is the first step but we need to know more about the spigot since it could be lo-tec brass spigot or even a frost proof copper/brass fixture. If its just a brass spigot with w T knob you should be able to unscrew the nut under the knob with a pipe wrench or cresent. Once the cap is unscrewed turn the knob counterclockwise until the tsem comes out. Take it to the hardware store and ask them for a washer that fits. Before you go to the store stick your pinky into the stem hole and feel the seat the washer presses againist, you are checking for scratches or burrs on the seat that must be ground alway if present. If you feel burrs come back here and tell us so we can walk you through that step.

It is not a brass spigot-looks grey like aluminum or metal. It has a flower shaped handle to turn it off and on with. It is leaking out the part where the hose attaches to. It has a screw in the center of the handle. Does that help??
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Just unscrew the nut like he said and unscrew the handle. The thing the handle is screwed to is called the stem. It has a washer at the other end that needs replaced. The stem may only be a couple of inches long, or about a foot. Just take it out and don't worry about it. Replace the washer, and put it back together.

What you do need to worry about is your hot water tank. Shutting off the main cold water leaves it shut off at both sides. Unless you know it has an expansion tank, open a hot water tap. Good idea to shut the electricity off or turn the valve to pilot too.

Oct 17, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Criley, had any luck at the hardware store? It's never a bad idea to shut down the water heater but you don't need to worry about hot water pressure building up. Once you open the bad spigot there is no pressure in your pipes, hot or cold.

Oct 17, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Criley, had any luck at the hardware store? It's never a bad idea to shut down the water heater but you don't need to worry about hot water pressure building up. Once you open the bad spigot there is no pressure in your pipes, hot or cold.
    I capped it off for right now-I am working a 12 hour shift so I have to wait until Friday to work on it. It should be OK until then right??

Oct 18, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Yep, a temporary cap will not be a problem as long as it doesn't freeze in your area.
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 08:48 AM
    ....Once you open the bad spigot there is no pressure in your pipes, hot or cold.
    As I think about it, that's right. Just hope the phone doesn't ring between shutting the water off and opening the water line.

Even then, in most cases, the pressure relief valve will open likely limiting damage to getting crud on the seat and then leaking.

Oct 18, 2007, 09:01 AM
    I'm not worried about the expansion of the hot water too much since her leaking spigot would bleed off any pressure. Now that she has capped the spigot it would not be wise to shut off her main and not address your advice.

Oct 18, 2007, 07:07 PM
    I am still concerned about the answers around my hot water tank... As long as the main is on, I should be OK until I can replace it, right?? I am going to have to cut it off at the pvc pipe and reattach a new one. This one is so old and I don't have the strength to get the last nut at the bottom of it to get the stem out. The stem doesn't come out , just turns right and left.

Oct 18, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Labman and I were discussing if you had to worry about your water tank and a pressure build up. The conclusion is no, not to worry. Leave our main on until you are ready to make your repairs. When you are ready to make the repair close your main and open your leaky spigot. Now lets make sure we are talking about the same nut. There should be a large nut shaped collar below the handle, right? You should be able to unscrew, counterclockwise lefty loosey, that nut with a open end wrench or crescent wrench. Once the nut unscrews you open the spigot handle all the way, counterclockwise and keep turning. You may need to pull out on it as you turn and it should come right out. If it really is too corroded and needs to be replaced let us know and we'll walk you through the replacement.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Oct 18, 2007, 08:19 PM
    As long as the main is on you will be fine until you replace it. I always shut the water heater off when I am working unless an expansion tank is present but that's just me. I know a lot of guys who don't. GOOD LUCK
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Hot water tanks are a bit tricky. Water expands and contracts as it heat and cools. Usually no problem as it can flow in and out the inlet of the tank. Once you shut the main water off, it is bottled up and if the tank is on and heats up cold water, the excess is going somewhere. If you have a line open working on is as is the case usually when you shut the water off, it just comes out where you are working. Often just when you had the joint heated up to solder.

To deal with this an several other possibilities and even some impossibilities, hot water tanks have a valve that opens when the pressure or temperature get too high. Once they open, they tend to not seal right and continue to dribble water out. They are a nuisance, but have likely saved countless lives. Cheap andeasy to replace.

So I have wrongly alarmed you over little. I take great care in answering questions, but I am human, and I blew it this time.
    seektoknow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Exactly what I needed to know--thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside water spigot [ 5 Answers ]

The outside water spigot for the garden hose leaks. I like to replace the washer. But one of the nuts is frozen with paint. The first nut comes of easy,I guess that just the "packing nut". It does not release the stem. The second nut is frozen solid, I think that will release the stem. I'v soak...

Outside Spigot Pressure. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, We turned on our outside spigot to find low water pressure. We noticed that with the hose nozzle restricted and water not flowing we could still hear the water running at the spigot, although there was nothing leaking. We then went to the meter and turned the spigot on with no flow at the...

Outdoor Leaking Spigot [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, this is my first time on this site. I have an older block-style Florida home in Bradenton, where the plumbing pipes are located within the walls. I have a leaking outdoor spigot that needs repairing badly. The spigot handle is circular and that is where the water is coming from. Is...

Outside Spigot [ 4 Answers ]

I have three outside spigots I want to replace. How do I tell if they are screwed on or soldered (sp) on? With it flush to the brick I can't see and I don't want to twist it off. The pipe is copper so I'm guessing soldered. It is not a no freeze spigot. How do I replace them with a screw on...

Outside spigot [ 1 Answers ]

We have two outside spigots, one on either side of the house. The water is turned on and one works and one does not. The knob turns but no water comes out. What could be the problem?

View more questions Search