Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cuata Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2007, 01:10 PM
    My toddler doesn't want to talk
    My 20 month old toddler doesn't want to say words I try to teach him, he doesn't stay focus he just wants to do his own thing I get fustrated. How can I get my toddler interest and focused in learning to talk with out fustrating him to turn away.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Stop trying so hard. He will talk when he is ready. As long as you are sure there is nothing wrong with his hearing, just give him time.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Em is exactly right. As long as his hearing is okay, and he has reached all other developmental stages around the appropriate time, then there is little to worry about.

1) Boys tend to talk later than girls.
    2) Not all children reach their developmental milestones at the same ages. Some earlier, some later.
    3) Does he have older siblings?
    4) Give him time. He's still quite young.

If he reaches 24 - 28 months and is still not talking that may be a signal that there is something else going on, but not always. Just be patient, it will happen.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Try other things like singing to him and telling stories to him making him the "hero". Make the songs and stories interactive in that you use them to get a response from HIM. If you want ideas and examples, let me know.
    SHPS Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Oct 12, 2007, 02:51 PM
    I agree with what the other 2 posters have said. Consider a couple things though. Are you making him talk? When he wants something, make him say it, or do not let him have it. Also are there older children/ siblngs who are talking for him? I operate a preschool, and work directly with a speech pathologist on a 22 month old who used to not talk. This is what she has taught me to do with him.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHPS
    Also are there older children/ siblngs who are talking for him?
    This is exactly what happened to my son at that age. When his sister stopped talking "for" him, he started talking a mile a minute. He is 5 now and I can't get him to be quiet. LOL :p
    CharlesM Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 06:22 PM
    I didn't start talking until I was almost 2 1/2, my mom took me to the doctor and found that the skinunder my tongue had to be clipped. This may not be the case for this child. Maybe he is shy, maybe it is something else, but your pediatric doctor should be able to tell you what is going on. If anything.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 06:33 PM
    My husband's cousin said almost nothing until she was about 2 1/2; then she started speaking in full sentences, clear as a bell with full comprehension. At three she was able to speak as well as a five year old. Provided there are no physical reasons or older children speaking for the child, it could just be you have a late bloomer!
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 07:07 PM
    I too was worried when my daughter was about your age and she wasn't talking very much. I asked her doctor about it, and he said one day it will just hit her and she will start. I just left it alone then... and just like he said, right after she turned 2 all of the sudden in one week she just started talking and talking... she's almost 6 now and I don't think she's stopped to take a breath :D
    supermommy25 Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Oct 14, 2007, 12:10 AM
    Like the first person said stop trying so hard... I mean I don't really think you can teach him to talk... you just have to talk to him a lot like and he will learn, be patient he will talk when he is ready... enjoy it for a while because my three year talks wayyyyyyyyyyy too much... when I take him in public people are just amazed at the stuff that comes out of his mouth... so enjoy this.. trust me you will miss it... lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Effects of weed on a toddler [ 10 Answers ]

I would like to know the effects of smoking weed daily in the same room on a toddler of 36 months old. From a concerned Nanny.

Teeth and toddler [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried everything I can think of to get my boy to brush his teeth,but he only will do it when he's in the mood.Does anyone have suggestions about how to get a 3 year old to enjoy brushing his teeth?:D

Stained teeth on toddler [ 6 Answers ]

My son started getting brown stains on his teeth at about age 2. The pediatric dentist stated it was iron stains (my son does not take any iron suppliments) and polished most of the stains off. One to two months later the stains returned and have gotten worse. I have another appt. with the same...

Crying toddler [ 23 Answers ]

My19 months old daughter is always crying, we have try everything to make her stop. Can you please help me? Do you think by yealing at her will maker her stop crying?

Toddler-friendly recipes [ 7 Answers ]

My son is two, and while he has a very good appetite and eats everything I've ever put in front of him, I need some new recipes. How many times can I possibly make him ravioli or mac and cheese? ;) The only catch is that the recipes must be toddler friendly, but not look "kid-ish", they must...

View more questions Search