Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwilliams15 Posts: 172, Reputation: 24

Oct 11, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Key stuck in ignition
    My car key gets stuck in my ignition alllll the time.. it is VERY annoying because I have to sit there until it decides to come out so the battery doesn't go dead lol..

When I put the key in the ignition to turn the car on, I have to give it a little wiggle to get it to turn. Then, when I'm ready to turn the car off, the ignition won't turn back far enough to let the key out.. sometimes I can get it out after about a minute, other times an hour..

What could be wrong?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Get a new ignition put in as soon as possible cause if you wait then your car could be stuck in park somewhere and you will have to get it towed. You will have to get a flatbed tow truck to come and tow you. That happened to me two and a half weeks ago my ignition decided to break and I had to get my van towed. I didn't have money to get it fixed so I had it towed to my driveway. Now it is stuck in park and none of my mechanic friends can get the ignition out. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...on-138643.html
    So when I have enough money I am going to have to get it towed again to a garage. All this just to replace a $12.00 ignition.
    I already bought the ignition.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2007, 03:28 PM
    He's right. Cars are funny that way, they let you know something isn't right. They won't fix themselves, and the problem only gets worse, not better.
    While the key still turns, it will be cheaper labor wise to replace. Once stuck,. you're stuck!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 06:58 PM
    NOHELPFORYOU::: YOU may have to do like I did on my 92chev. Pickup, I had remove the steering wheel then a few parts inside that lift out ,then remove the ign. Lock ,replace put the rest back as took out replace steering wheel, (YOU WILL NEED TO USE A WHEEL PULLER TO TAKE OFF STEERING WHEEL) IT took about 2 hours to replace mine :: GOOD LUCK TO BOTH OF YOU F.B.E.
    Robert Brenner Posts: 53, Reputation: 13

Oct 14, 2007, 07:12 PM
    mwilliams15

You might try some graphite spray lube. Spray it into the lock cylinder, slide the key in and out, turn it on and off. If there is a tumbler stuck this might free it up. If this is an older car, you will probably need a new lock cylinder.
    Robert
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 08:22 PM
    I bet if you looked at the key you would see it worn down quite a bit maybe go to the dealer and get a new key made first. I meant to susjest this first earlier F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Key stuck in ignition switch [ 1 Answers ]

Ok. I had the issue to where the car was stuck in park and I had no break lights so I switched out the brake switch. That now works fine. But now my problem is after making this swap the car doesn't recognize being in park in that it won't allow me to remove the key. I can turn the car off and...

2002 Subaru Forester: Key is stuck in the ignition [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I am very new to this site and have found it to be super informative. Hopefully I'll be able to get some help from the users on here. We just bought our 2002 Subaru Forester less than a month ago. Last night, I drove home, put the car in park, turned the car off and tried to remove my...

Key stuck in the ignition [ 1 Answers ]

I had a made key for my honda DX(automatic) and now it is stuck in ignition?

Key stuck in ignition [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn off the car the key will not pull out from the ignition. The wheels will turn when they shouldn't. Any ideas?

91 Honda CRX Ignition-key gets stuck [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 1991 Honda CRX-the key keeps gettting stuck in the ignition. The dealership wants $300 just for a new ignition switch. What could be causing this? Easiest fix? Thanks

View more questions Search