Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    str82hell Posts: 30, Reputation: 5

Oct 8, 2007, 11:55 PM
    Why is suicide illegal?
    I don't get it, what are they going to do? Are they going to jail the corpse? Its hard enough for people who need help to seek it. I just think the fact that its illegal strengthens the stigma, and makes it even harder for people to get help.
    Goddard Posts: 50, Reputation: 9

Oct 8, 2007, 11:58 PM
    I wasn't aware it was illegal. It may vary for each state.

Oct 9, 2007, 12:08 AM
    As far as a I know it's a federal law. I think there is one country in Europe where its legal.
    Goddard Posts: 50, Reputation: 9

Oct 9, 2007, 12:14 AM
    I would think all they could do would be to put you in a hospital for psychological evaluation.

Oct 9, 2007, 09:42 AM
    This isn't personal. It's a principal thing. You can't evaluate someone who has killed themselves. Its an unenforcable law.
    CareBearsRule Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 09:45 AM
    It is illegal because your taking someone's rightful life away from them even if it is theirs
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 11:50 AM
    I think there is at least one state where doctor assisted suicide is legal for terminally ill patients.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 01:41 PM
    I never really looked into it but figured it was illegal due the fact that your wasting the time of city services (ambulance and police) who have to respond, whether or not you succeed.

They don't jail the dead people, only the ones that attempt and fail... obviously.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 03:48 PM
    I believe suicide is legal in Canada.

I think it is more for attempted suicide than anything else, not actually succeeding, but for those that fail.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Hello str8:

I don't know either. I'll bet the same dumb people who made suicide illegal made pot illegal too.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Actually no, there is no federal murder or sucicide laws. They are all state laws. And the rules and punishment varies by state, normally it will far into a mental health punishment. It is illegal so that those who don't do it right, can be arrested and be locked up to receive treatment.

So it isillegal for the persons own good
    delori Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2007, 06:47 AM
    It's a forceable law in the sense that they will force you into a 72 hour hold in a psychiatric facility, but my own opinion is "what do we own more than our own lives" the answer is an unequivocal nothing, although most cases I think would be better off if there was some kind of intervention but ultimately, in the end it is my choice. It does not currently work like this as the intervention is inadequate and ineffective and there is no ultimate personal choice recognized. Very few places on the planet have physician assisted suicide only for late stage fatal illnesses.
    U.N.Owen Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2011, 02:52 PM
    One reason is that in most societies the supposed sanctity of life is upheld quite highly.
    And if suicide was accepted legally and morally to be an actual valid choice a lot of what people believe would have to be changed.
    Plus like another poster said sometimes resources have to be used that taxes support.
    Questforlife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Its stupid how through the ages humanity has made its own laws. Not the laws laid down my the hight almighty. And the holy books.

The human race is becoming to big. No work. No stimulation of recreation, as it become taxed heavily. The whole reason we were put here is being lost. Laws are stupid. But there are those laws for good reason. As for killing yourself. In japan it's the norm. There should be no law that one should not take their life. But there should be some counselling for the reason why. If the reason or singes have been noticed. We put down animals. What right or say do they have in it. Euthanasia should be allowed also. Why does any one want to persuade those who have nothing left in life but for a down hill future to live. When the whole reason we are born , Is to do our bit then die. You could say those who want to die are selfish, But that view can be taken the other way. What reason now , you tell me, Why any humans have the right to live on this planet , for what they have become and have done to it. Its only love for one another that warrants that reason. And sadly those on the negative who don't give a damn , Only for money want to live any way. Personally , I live each day trying to find good reason to keep going. Humanity has become so depressive and trapped in stress, work,greed, hate, And happiness and love become harder to find. Is life to become sitting in front of a computer in a polluted world. Where food is scares . Other then to wonder and make love and bring up family. Pr to create, if you have the support and know how, then what is there.
    The world is on the verge of change. I am not afraid to die , As each day become harder to challenge. Why does man continue to look for ways to live more, when life becomes unbearable to live any way? And they seem to be no future that what we do, benefits anything or anyone.
    The human race one day will make it law to not live further then 50. Or allow one to take their life with ease. And even offer the option . As humans over populate the planet. The very nature that ket is at hand , has been blocked. Man has continued to cheat nature. And then only to exploit his efforts for financial gain.
    To be of true spirit , One goes through life to do great things. Once he is done and there is no more. Then he has the right to die . If ones time has come, and they are happy to go. Then there should be no reason not too.
    Humanity has become its own enemy. Bring the dead and crippled, deformed to live, and in doing so , without though, How much pain, physically and mentally that person has to endure, never to have a normal life.
    Laws are made to keep life, against ones will. And then Laws from governments send people into war to kill against there will taking another persons life. Over stupid political disagreement ! So why? Ironic

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2011, 09:34 AM
    This is from 2007 - please keep an eye on the dates. Other threads could use your time and attention.

This is also more discussion and less legal advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suicide [ 22 Answers ]

Hello: Now don't go getting all soppy on me. I ain't about to cash in my chips any time soon. However, I DO want to be the one who decides when the time is right. Why shouldn't I be able to? I'm talking about doing this when my body tells me it's time, not because I'm depressed. Or,...

On suicide [ 3 Answers ]

Is it normal to from time to time think about death or suicide? With all the problems the world have, do people think and say" is not worth it, might as well get it over with"? I mean we all have our ups and downs

Suicide?! [ 5 Answers ]

I'm so depressed and I feel like no one will be able to help me. :( I so badly want to end my life but I don't know if I will end up killing myself or not. I AM SO CONFUSED!! :confused: Will I really end up actually killing myself or will I pull through?

Suicide [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I just read about this poor 85 year old lady who has lost control over her own life. What an undignified way to go! I wouldn't want to end it that way - and I'm not going to. I'll decide when it's over. Tell me why I should end up crapping in my pants. Do you crap your pants? ...

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

View more questions Search