Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Parodydude Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 07:16 PM
    Evicting an adult child who pays rent
    I am a 33 year old disabled man living in my mothers house. The agreement we have is I pay her $750 a month out of my social security check to live here, as rent, to cover expenses. We have no written contract. She is also disabled, with kidney failure. The problem is we do not get along. Our relationship has deteriorated steadily in the years I have lived with her. I love her a lot, but her emotional abuse never stops. I have been helping her with household chores, cooking, laundry, and taking care of the pool and spa. I am just barely able to do these things but I do my best to help out. However my service is inadequate, because I don't respond to her damands quickly enough, or with a smile on my face.

She is very abusive to me. I believe this is due to her illnesses. She has said things to me like 'i own you' 'you are my slave' etc. She acuses me of bullying and abusing her when I refuse to or are unable to help her in a timely fasion. Sometimes I am in too much pain, and just unable.

Between the two of us we aren't able to keep the house clean so we hire a teenager to help out now and then.

Lately I have been reluctant to leave my room, I spend 99%of my day locked in here to avoid conflict with her. I am literally a prisoner in my home. All I want is to live quietly and peacefully.

I should mention that my mother has emotional and mental problems which she has never sought assistance with, but that make her unreasonable to deal with. If we have a disagreement, she screams at me and tells me I have to move out. I cannot count how many times she has told me to move out. This time she has called my father who lives in another state to enlist his help in moving meout. They plan to bring a uhaul and against my will move me to Oregon, from California, to live by myself in a hovel or a room rental.

I feel bound by duty to stay with her and take care of her, I have found her sick and had to call 911 to save her. She needs someone here. I am reluctant to go for this reason, also because I don't know where I can go and live on my minuscule income of 1100 a month in this area. I do not want to live with my abusive father in Oregon. He doeent even acknowledge the fact that I am disabled and calls me a failure because I don't find work. (which I am unable to do)

So I giess my question is, do I have any rights? I might be able to find a place but I need to save all my money for a couple months to pay for a move and a move in. I should also mention that while I give her $750 a month upfront, she also gets about $250 a month more from me for incidental expenses, car repair, household needs, meals out, etc. My friends think she financially abuses me because she takes so much of my money. I just want to live in peace.

Some of my illnesses, Cardiac AFIB and psoriasis are worsened by anxiety and my mom does nothing but cause me as much anxiety as possible, She even told me a sheriff was going to come get me over a bill I owe. She also said she's going to get a order of protection to make me leave without notice, if I don't obey her.

I am become a shut in, afraid and reluctant to leave the house on my own, terrified to defend myself from her for fear she will claim I hurt her. If I say she is abusing me, she says I am abusing her. If I refuse to come out of my room, she says I am abusing her. She has told her friends and my father that I abuse her. I am terrified, ddepressed, I have high anxiety and therefor I am having a hard time thinking of what I can do to help myself out of this situation.

Thanks,

Imprisoned in my home.
    bright_stone Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Sep 27, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Parodydude
    I am a 33 year old disabled man living in my mothers house. The agreement we have is I pay her $750 a month out of my social security check to live here, as rent, to cover expenses. We have no written contract. She is also disabled, with kidney failure. The problem is we do not get along. Our relationship has deteriorated steadily in the years I have lived with her. I love her a lot, but her emotional abuse never stops. I have been helping her with household chores, cooking, laundry, and taking care of the pool and spa. I am just barely able to do these things but i do my best to help out. However my service is inadequate, because I don't respond to her damands quickly enough, or with a smile on my face.

she is very abusive to me. I believe this is due to her illnesses. She has said things to me like 'i own you' 'you are my slave' etc. She acuses me of bullying and abusing her when i refuse to or are unable to help her in a timely fasion. sometimes i am in too much pain, and just unable.

between the two of us we arent able to keep the house clean so we hire a teenager to help out now and then.

Lately i have been reluctant to leave my room, i spend 99%of my day locked in here to avoid conflict with her. I am literally a prisoner in my home. All I want is to live quietly and peacefully.

I should mention that my mother has emotional and mental problems which she has never seeked assistance with, but that make her unreasonable to deal with. if we have a disagreement, she screams at me and tells me i have to move out. I cannot count how many times she has told me to move out. This time she has called my father who lives in another state to enlist his help in moving meout. they plan to bring a uhaul and against my will move me to oregon, from california, to live by myself in a hovel or a room rental.

I feel bound by duty to stay with her and take care of her, I have found her sick and had to call 911 to save her. She needs someone here. I am reluctant to go for this reason, also because I dont know where i can go and live on my miniscule income of 1100 a month in this area. I do not want to live with my abusive father in oregon. he doeent even acknowledge the fact that i am disabled and calls me a failure because i dont find work. (which i am unable to do)

so i giess my question is, do I have any rights? I might be able to find a place but i need to save all my money for a couple months to pay for a move and a move in. I should also mention that while i give her $750 a month upfront, she also gets about $250 a month more from me for incidental expenses, car repair, household needs, meals out, etc. My friends think she financially abuses me because she takes so much of my money. I just want to live in peace.

some of my illnesses, Cardiac AFIB and psoriasis are worstened by anxiety and my mom does nothing but cause me as much anxiety as possible, She even told me a sheriff was going to come get me over a bill i owe. she also said shes going to get a order of protection to make me leave without notice, if i dont obey her.

I am become a shut in, afraid and reluctant to leave the house on my own, terrified to defend myself from her for fear she will claim i hurt her. If i say she is abusing me, she says i am abusing her. If i refuse to come out of my room, she says i am abusing her. She has told her friends and my father that I abuse her. I am terrified, ddepressed, i have high anxiety and therefor i am having a hard time thinking of what i can do to help myself out of this situation.

Thanks,

imprisoned in my home.
    Whomever OWNS a home has every right to decide who lives there.

For another thing, it sounds as if you two would be much more at peace and even healthier (without the anxiety) living apart. "Familiarity breeds contempt."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2007, 07:41 PM
    If she owns the home, and you merely pay rent, it is her home and with a 30 day notice can evict you anytime she wants.

You can apply for government assisted housing avialable in most cities ( normally with a waiting list)

Sep 27, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bright_stone
    Whomever OWNS a home has every right to decide who lives there.

For another thing, it sounds as if you two would be much more at peace and even healthier (without the anxiety) living apart. "Familiarity breeds contempt."
    So by extension there's no such thing as tenants rights, and my tenancy is at will despite my disability and the fact that I pay rent.

I totally agree we would be happier living apart, at this point. However you answer doesn't address my concerns for her well being. I have already saved her life once when her blood sugar went low and she nearly died. I do all of her tasks such as laundry, cooking. etc. She needs the live in care I am providing, yet she alienates me on a daily basis.

Plus there is the issue of her being mentally and psychologically able to make this decision.

The bottom line is I haven't done anything wrong to make her evict me. She threw my father out a couple years ago after threatening him for years, for the same reasons she's claiming I need to go. Now her wrath has fallen upon me. This is just wrong, but if it's how you say, I will be homeless in 20 days.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2007, 08:32 PM
    You are a tenant, and you have rights, she can not just lock you out, without giving you proper notice, you may lock your room, you may receive mail there.
    But you are just a tennat, not a home owner and your concerns have nothing to do at all with landlord/tennant law. If you want to go to court and have her declared imcompetant, and get made her guardian, then those are issues for that, but not for housing court. That is why we did not address them, we feel sorry for it all, but it is just non important,

Who owns the house, is there a written lease, is rent paid, is rent past due, and so on, are the only real facts that are relevant.

Next you don't have to do anything wrong, you can be a perfect tenant, but with a 30 day notice she can still evict you.

Now your father, if they were married, could not be "thrown out" he would have had to leave on his own just tired of listening to her.

You can refuse to leave, she will then have to actually take you to housing court, and they because of your health may give you another 30 to 60 days, depending on the condition,

Sorry not what you wanted to hear, but this is just the way it is.

It is just like if you were in one of my rental houses, if you don't have a lease, I can ask you to leave with a 30 day notice anytime I want, for no reason what so ever.

Sep 27, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    If you want to go to court and have her declared imcompetant, and get made her guardian, then those are issues for that, but not for housing court. That is why we did not address them, we feel sorry for it all, but it is just non important,

Despite the fact that our relationship has suffered, her well being is of utmost importance to me. Even if my father and his friends show up in 20 days, basically kidnap me and move me to Oregon, and take my personal belongings by force.. which is what I have been told is what will happen, ill survive. However my mom will be on her own, and she won't last long. This will be to my father's advantage who I think really doesn't care about her at all. Yes she did throw him out, yes he did allow himself to be thrown out. Yes he didn't want to listen to her anymore. No, he's no ally of mine. In a couple weeks I stand to have my rights violated by 1. an abusive parent and 2 mentally Incompetent parent using the abusive parent as a weapon against me.

Perhaps your answer isn't like you said, what I wanted to hear. True. But the situation is more complicated than simply a landlord tenant matter. Perhaps I should have been more clear about this in my original post.

Thanks for trying to help, I'm done with helpdesk now. (the op will no longer be checking on this thread)

Edit: spelling

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting an adult child in Tennessee [ 23 Answers ]

My son in 20 years old. He came home from college after getting kicked out for a GPA of under 1.0. He asked to come home for "3 weeks". This was May 4, 2006. The only room I had was my garage. I didn't want to make things too comfortable for him. He stays out half of the night drinking and...

Evicting an adult family member [ 6 Answers ]

Tried to help a family member who was down to get back on his feet by giving him a room in my house for almost a year. Now he does not want to leave and makes threat. Gets violent at times. How do I go about getting him out? Your help is greatly appreciated. Babe3530

Former roommate never pays rent, breaks lease to join Navy [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. My name is Chris. I live in Arkansas. This is my first time using this site and it seems like a good place for advice. My problem is this: Me and my best friend signed a lease and moved into an apartment on August 1st of last year. My friend couldn't come up with enough money...

Evicting an adult child [ 2 Answers ]

What is the process for evicting an adult child in the state of Florida?

Evicting Adult Child not paying Rent [ 9 Answers ]

How can I throw an adult child who will not follow rules of house and just want to waste his life away?

View more questions Search