Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geographymatt Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2007, 05:16 AM
    How to find a missing cat
    Hi,

I'm desperately trying to find my cat whose been missing approximately 28 hours (possibly a little longer). He was last seen the morning of Thursday 20th September. He's black with white feet, quite small and very affectionate and playful and called Chester. He's three years old this week. I have searched quite a large area around our estate including some wooded areas and many bushes and ditches to no avail. I have searched neighbours back gardens thoroughly and called his name to check he's not shut in anywhere but there's absolutely no sign of him. Any ideas on how to find him would be grately appreciated.

Thanks.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 05:28 AM
    I would visit my local pound or SPCA Also call daily and see if they have brought a cat that looks like him. Post fliers with his picture and offer a reward. Every morning and night when it was quite I would take out a bit of food in a metal cup and shake it.
    Do not lose hope my old Tom that is around 11 now went missing and was gone for 4 days. I looked for him every where. He came home early on a Sunday morning nails dug down very hungry and thristy. It was on a Thanksgiving weekend, so my guess was that he had been locked in someone garage and when they came back from the holiday, they found him in their garage.
    Also if your cat is not neutered they will leave for days, looking for love. I have known cats to stay gone for months and return home after the family has gotten another cat. Hopefully he is OK. Good Luck
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Sep 21, 2007, 07:36 AM
    I'm sorry about your kitty. I have a 13 year old cat who got out about a year ago. He had no claws front or back and he was old and slow. Needless to say I was frantic. Bushg makes excellent suggestions. I would even visit your local pound daily on top of a phone call because as sad as it may seem, cats especially go overlooked and can all start to look alike. The food in a metal cup suggestion is awesome, I wish I'd have thought of that when Snoops ran off. I just shook his food bag. The metal would've been much louder. Also try putting out a can of tuna, it's real smelly and easy for cats to pick up the scent. Not to mention they love it. It may attract some neighborhood strays, but it just might also attract Chester. If your cat is an indoor only cat, chances are, he'll show up when he's hungry. My Snoops showed back up close to 2 days later. My neighbor knocked on our door because he saw a flyer we put in everyone's mailbox and said, is this your cat? He was just sitting on the porch like nothing had happened, that little brat:) And he brought fleas home with him:rolleyes: From that day on, we call that incident Snoops' vacation:) Anyway, I hope Chester turns up sooner than later. Just stay persistent, chances are he's hungry and nervous and he'll come home.

Sep 21, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Thank You both for your kind words and support. Sadly he's still not returned home. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to make a little flyer and stick it in some doors if he's not home soon. The idea of the food in a metal tin is also a good one so I'll give that a try. Thanks again
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 09:52 PM
    My Rana-cat went walkabout for a month. And I had the problem that she didn't WANT to come home. She'd come by my apartment, but wouldn't go in the door even if it was left open. I finally resorted to putting out canned food on the patio for a few days, and then got a live trap and put the food in there. Sure enough, she went in the trap the first day it was out, I brought her back inside, and she's been happily living at home ever since.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Sep 22, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Put an ad with the cats picture in you local newspaper,and also a flyer at all the vet's in your area.If she was injured someone may take her in for treatment.Don't give up,many will show up weeks after being gone.I hope you find her,please let us know.:(

Sep 23, 2007, 12:54 AM
    Hi everybody,

Guess who showed up at 2.30am this morning? Yup Chester made his long awaited return after we had almost given up hope. We are so happy and relieved :) He seems perfectly healthy and has eaten two bowls of food already! Its nice to get a happy ending for a change :D Thanks to everyone for their advice here.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2007, 12:57 AM
    Yea!! :D :) :D :) :D :p
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2007, 12:58 AM
    I have had cats all of my life, so I know exactly how you feel!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2007, 04:22 AM
    I know you are happy. take a nice long nap with him today. :)
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Sep 23, 2007, 09:13 AM
    I love a happy ending.You and Chester both deserve a long nap together!:p
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Sep 24, 2007, 06:55 AM
    That really is wonderful news! I know how relieved you must feel. Animals really have a way of wiggling their way into your heart. Funny that the little bugger showed up in the wee hours!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I find the missing beginning inventory [ 5 Answers ]

How to calculate inventory turnover without Beginning inventory

Where to find info on missing friends [ 1 Answers ]

Where to find old friends

I can't find my pregnant stray cat [ 1 Answers ]

We have had our cat for a while now. She is pregnant. Today she suddenly disappeared out of our yard. We searched everywhere and we still can't find her. We are worried that she had her kittens somewhere high in our garage where we can't see. Where could she possibly be hiding? Could she accually...

My cat has gone missing. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so I have had my cat "Cassie" since I was 7yrs old - she is my baby. She is now 14yrs and is always stuck to me like glue. Waits for me to get home and is always asleep on my bed and never venture far from our house whilst outside. All of a sudden she has just vanished. We have a...

View more questions Search