Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nickydoglover Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Sep 10, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Will Garic Powder increase my dogs appetite?
    My dog has been sick for a few weeks and I had a bunch of test done on him last week, since I brough him home from the vet he hasn't;t eaten much, just maybe a few nibbles here and there. The vet suggested giving him some children's Gravol and adding some Garlic Powder into some food. She said Garlic Powder will increase his appetite. Does anyone know if this will work?? And how much should I give him considering he will MAYBE eat a few bites of food.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 05:56 PM
    I don't remember that, but it is not the sort of thing I would regard as useful and retain. I have Labs, I am more likely to remember tips on keeping them from over eating. As a general rule, I believe in taking the advice you paid your vet for. If I really don't like something somebody's vet says, I am more likely to suggest a different vet. So if the vet suggests it, try it. How much? Maybe like peppering your food. It that doesn't seem to work, try a little more.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 11, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Don't think that it would increase appetite, however it is suppposed to be good at lessing parasites, such as fleas and ticks.. never tried it but know a few people that swear by it as a flea preventative... (Garlic Powder that is)
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 06:32 AM
    I'll stick to Revolution. Maybe dogs eating garlic don't have fleas, but when I only had one healthy, young dog in the house, I went for years doing nothing, and never saw a flea.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Nicky, I haven't heard of this either but if I was in your shoes and my vet suggested it, I would try it. Garlic can't hurt your dog and like others, I have heard that it can be used for a few different purposes. I haven't tried it myself to prove or disprove theories. I would rather not create a situation where my dog's breath will bowl me over when she gives me a kiss. So, since your vet is the one that suggested it, I would call the vets office and ask them how much to put on your dog's food.
    dednnyholtmo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickydoglover
    My dog has been sick for a few weeks and I had a bunch of test done on him last week, since I brough him home from the vet he hasn't;t eaten much, just maybe a few nibbles here and there. The vet suggested giving him some children's Gravol and adding some Garlic Powder into some food. She said Garlic Powder will increase his appetite. Does anyone know if this will work???And how much should I give him considering he will MAYBE eat a few bites of food.
    Garlic powder would be used like salt or pepper-just a light dusting for flavor. Other products like bacon grease would add more flavor and provide lots of energy if the dog is out of condition and skinny.

Sep 12, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Rocky still won't eat on his own therefore I had to start force feeding him. I took his normal dog food, soaked it in hot water and rolled it into little ball and put it into his mouth just far enough that he won't gag or spit it out. And he swallows the food.I just started doing this yesterday, I waited as long as I could to get him to eat on his own. Does anyone know how long its going to take till I see the food take effect and see him have some energy??
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Your dog has been through a lot, and still may not be back to normal. This certainly sounds like a case for doing more than the waiting I often suggest, and the dog is already under the care of a vet. I see the force feeding as a holding action. I don't think you will see the normal activity level until everything else clears up and he regains his appetite.

Sep 12, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Really you don't think that force feeding him will help him regain strength??
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Even if you manage to get what he needs and maybe some catch up into him, I still don't think he will be himself until everything clears up.

Are the antibiotics helping the lump? If not, are you going ahead with the biopsy?

Maybe pick up some small breed puppy chow. It is the most calorie dense thing I know that is easily available. Try to stick to the same protein source as his regular chow, lamb, chicken, etc.

Sep 12, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Yes the lump is getting smaller therefore it is an abscess. Well that's what me and the vet are thinking since the antibiotics are working. Right now his body isn't able to tell that's its releasing too much calcium, so the vet thinks its something she called a calcium mechanism... that this mechanism isn't working properly. I am awaiting the results on that test. I think I will continue giving him gravol and force feeding him until he is finished the antibiotics. But I am also trying to get him to eat on his own, I'm just hoping he will be able to do that once he starts to feel better.

Sep 13, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Just thought I'd et you know that I have take my dog to a different vet. He was wasting away and the vet I was using couldn't do anything for me and it was taking her to long to figure out what is wrong with my dog. So I took him to the vet that I use for my cows and horses, the vet gave him a shot of something(my husband took the dog in, so I don't know all the details yet) and he should be eating on his own by tomorrow. The vet also found another lump on his neck and on his abdomen. Also the antibiotics the previous vet put my dog on is a low end antibiotic and isn't usually prescribed for a dog in his condition. To tell you the truth I am really upset with the previous vet.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Let's hope for the best. I have more confidence in my vet since my friend's vet fumbled the ball on a case of coccidiosis. Loose stools are a big pain in a puppy you take out in public.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 14, 2007, 05:29 AM
    Found a link talking about garlic powder and fleas

Hood River Organic Seed Garlic - Garlic for Pets - Garlic, Softneck, Hardneck
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickydoglover
    Just thought I'd et you know that I have take my dog to a different vet. He was wasting away and the vet I was using couldnt do anything for me and it was taking her to long to figure out what is wrong with my dog. So I took him to the vet that I use for my cows and horses, the vet gave him a shot of something(my husband took the dog in, so I dont know all the details yet) and he should be eating on his own by tomorrow. The vet also found another lump on his neck and on his abdomen. Also the antibiotics the previous vet put my dog on is a low end antibiotic and isnt usually prescribed for a dog in his condition. To tell you the truth I am really upset with the previous vet.
    I am glad you decided to find someone else. I don't like jumping the gun and suggesting to do that when I am not sure what is going on. A lot of people will put the same faith in their vets as they do their own doctors and get insulted if you suggest they switch. It never hurts to get a second opinion if things are not improving to your satisfaction. Please keep us posted on how your boy is doing. I hope he starts to eat on his own today.

Sep 15, 2007, 03:20 PM
    I am so happy that I switched vets, after just one visit my dog is looking and feeling better, he actually ate a few dog bones today. I am still waiting for the new test results from the new vet cause the previous vet didn't do the proper blood work or x-rays.I'll keep in touch with his progress... thanks everyone for your support.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 03:26 PM
    I know how frustrated you were getting and I am so very glad to hear this news Nickydl! Definitely let us know how he is progressing. :)

Sep 21, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Rocky is on today having a biopsy, the vet said there is a 75% chance he has Medicentric Lymphoma but he needs to do the biopsy to be sure. Therefore I went ahead with the biopsy and I will get the results in a few days I guess. I'll keep updating, thank you everyone.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Nicky, I am so sorry to hear there is a 75% chance for lymphoma. I am glad that you chose to do a biopsy and find out exactly what is going on with Rocky. I am not familiar with Medicentric. Is it possible he said multicentric or mediastinal? I would suggest you do an internet search on Lymphoma in Dogs or Canine Lymphoma and start reading up as much as you can now. When the results come back in, if it is lymphoma, you will have a better understanding of what is going on with Rocky. Write up a list of questions and concerns for the vet. You have to manage his healthcare just like you would do if this was a spouse or parent. Make sure you fully understand everything that is going on and what all the options are that are available to you. If the vet says something you don't understand, stop him/her and make them explain it in detail until you do.

My thoughts are with you. Please do keep us posted. If you need help with the research, just let us know.

Sep 21, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Thanks Ruby and it was multicentric... and I have done a lot of research on lymphoma, the vet coudnt believe that I knew so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What are good appetite stimulants? [ 1 Answers ]

What are good appetite stimulants?

Will increase in pump intake pipe size, increase flow rate? [ 1 Answers ]

At my cabin I use a 12 volt Flojet pump to pump water from the lake to the cabin. I am using 1/2 inch plastic pipe for the intake and outlet on the pump. Would I see an increase in water flow if I increase the size of the pipe going from the lake to the pump to 3/4 plastic

Appetite Suppresants [ 1 Answers ]

Which over the counter appetite (diet pill) suppresants are safe, and really work?

Pregnancy: appetite and itching [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to ask that if your appettite increases within a matter of days/weeks, or if your breasts constantly itch, can that be a symptom of pregnancy?

Loss of appetite [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 y/o Dalmatian has recently stopped eating her food. She drinks a lot of water. She has been eating cat droppings from a litter box and I recently gave her a dewormer. Could she have an upset stomach from the cat's poop and litter or is there something more wrong?

View more questions Search