Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frwilson71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Heading for divorce
    My wife and I live in an apartment in chicago,ill but we are getting a divorce. If my name is the only one on the lease,can I force her to leave the apartment legally?
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Sep 7, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Please check your local State Laws. If you lived in Canada, absolutely not. Marriage is joint everything. Please check with your local (we have free) Law Offices.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Sep 7, 2007, 07:08 PM
    You would have to legally evict her. This requires specific notice and documents to be served. As a married couple, more might be required even than that because you have established a household together. The courts would be unlikely to just let you throw her on the street if you are her primary support financially.

Have your divorce attorney handle it, or just ask her to move out and see if she will willingly comply. Be prepared - you may have to foot half or more of the bill for her to do so because you, together, made the current arrangements.
    tobeamiss Posts: 65, Reputation: 17

Sep 7, 2007, 08:18 PM
    If you're not divorced yet then no. Even though her name isn't on the lease, she's still entitled to everything you have while you're married and that includes where you live.
    sillymommyof4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frwilson71
    my wife and i live in an apartment in chicago,ill but we are getting a divorce. if my name is the only one on the lease,can i force her to leave the apartment legally?
    You will have to get a court eviction in order for you to make her leave. I know this from first hand experience.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Actually you should not need an eviction order to do this. When you file for separation there will need to be an agreement of who keeps the apartment. If after the separation agreement is filed that gives the apt to you, she refuses to move, then you can have the court issue an order enforcing the separation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heading toward cheating or not? [ 28 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long of a story, so I will just give the basic details. I am 28 (she is 27) and have been married for almost 2 years. We have a good relationship, as she is the opposite personality of mine for the most part and we rarely fight (and when we do it is over something...

Heading Style [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with why I should not use numbering in headings, for example: Chapter 3 Section 3.1 Screens Shots Section 3.2.1 Graphics For instance someone is questioning to a particular section over the phone or via email they can just refer to the section number. I have been told by an...

Heading for Divorce, Husband's debt concerns [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, My husband has been hiding debt / income from me. I have found out about a couple of unsecured personal loans and a large debt on a joint credit card. The loans do not have my name on them, and the credit card bill has his name only on the bill. I have cancelled my part of that card. ...

Heading for a break up - help please [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old and my boyfriend and I have been together for 1 year. Everything was good until 3 months ago. Our arguments became more intense. No yelling or anything like that, just more frequent disagreements. About a month ago my boyfriend told me he wanted to take a temporary break but...

View more questions Search