Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    physock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Drwall dust clean-up
    How do you clean up dry wall dust from sanding 4 walls and a ceiling.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Sweep up as much as you can then wipe down with a soft dry cloth. I don't recommend using a wet/dry vac or using anything wet to clean up with because the dust leaves a haze behind that is nearly impossible to get rid off. The vacuum will just throw finer particulates of the dust around making more work.

We ripped out and replaced 5 rooms including the ceilings and I was still finding dust 2 years after. Good luck!
    Knot Hole Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Sep 4, 2007, 11:56 AM
    The dust mess is why it is valuable to learn how to tape & mud without sanding or with the least possible. Sweep up as much as possible and then I would use a quality vacuum. It requires another hand but when I am about to create wall dust I have a helper use the vacuum as I cut or sand.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 02:09 PM
    You can vac with a HEPA rated vacuum. Open the windows while doing the vac job and allow mother nature to give you a little assist.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 4, 2007, 02:29 PM
    I agree with ballengerb1 use a wet dry vac with a hepa filter, a but first I use a broom to get the bulk of it off the walls and ceiling
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Hey physock, thanks so much for giving several of us bad marks just for trying to help you. You do not know how to do something that we do every day so we tell you the best method and you give us a bad mark on our record.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 5, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Well this is a first time I've giving my opinion only to get a bad mark instead,
    Physock, Myself along with many others on here take time out of our busy schedule to help people like you, fortunately this site isn't full of ungrateful people like yourself. I hope others , myself included will think twice about offering our advise to you again , glavine
    acorn construction Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 03:50 AM
    I agree with the vac idea. Although opening the windows? We try to keep the dust contained.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buzzing furnace and a lot of dust [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Bryant Quietline Deluxe furance model 397EAW036100. I have been told it's between 20 to 30 years old. It makes a loud buzzing noise when it kicks on and then the blower will start. The noise continues until the flames stop, but the blower will continue for about a minute or so then...

Young kitten with fleas + Pet dust? [ 3 Answers ]

A friend gave me a kitten he rescued the other day. I'm assuming it's about 3-4 weeks old. It has a bad case of fleas and I used some pet dust that I have on it without really thinking. What can the side effects of this be? :confused:

Strange drwall crack pattern [ 2 Answers ]

Our home is 4 years old and I noticed this winter that we have developed some cracks in the drywall around a couple of window frames. It's a very thin hairline crack(almost like just the paint has separated) that extends 1/2 in from the corner of the window and then goes half way down the length of...

Combatting A Dust Mite Allergy [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, Ever since giving up smoking a year ago, my girlfriend's asthma has flarred up a bit. Normally she is fine but occasionally she will wake up several times in the night, coughing and weezing. She went for an allergy check and it turns out she is allergic to dust mites. Trouble is we...

Dust falling from ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with what appears to be Sheetrock dust covering everything in my condo. I clean everything up but after a day the dust is back. It is difficult to breathe and I am trying to figure out a way to determine what this dust is or to get stop it from falling from the ceiling. I...

View more questions Search