Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UsBlkgal Posts: 83, Reputation: 9

Aug 3, 2007, 07:11 AM
    How do I keep my internet searches private
    I share a computer with other people :family and visiting neighbors logging in daily, how can I keep my internet searches private from public view? How do I make it impossible for them to look any of my searches up?
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Aug 3, 2007, 07:31 AM
    The easiest thing to do is delete your history, and temporary internet files every time your finished using the computer. You can download and use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer, it has an option to clear your history and temporary internet files every time you close it - if your interested in this option I can give you step by step instructions how to turn that on.

NOTE - This will only stop ordinary people from being able to see where you've gone, not a computer expert. There ARE still ways to find this information - especially for Internet Explorer users.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 08:29 AM
    A good program is CCleaner (crap cleaner)... free, downloadable.

CCleaner.com

I also have a computer that several others use. I use this daily. It doesn't run in the background or anything. When you close whatever internet browser you are using, you can right click on the recycle bin and select "run ccleaner"... in just a second or two it clears out cookies and history.

I've never have had a single complaint about it.

Aug 3, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Thanks for the information,

I spent a considerable amount of time on the C-Cleaner website. It was very interesting and gave me the information that there were problems with viruses etc. Unfortunately this service was not free.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 02:26 PM
    My understanding is that there is no virus. That one program, bitdefender, doesn't properly recognize it. If you are not running bitdefender there is no issue.

And I know the following link will show you that while they encourage donations, the download is free. With donations they automatically will update when new versions come out, otherwise you have to look now and then and do the update manually.

CCleaner.com

I paid nothing for mine, I religiously run spam/virus/malware detectors and have had no problems with this app.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 3, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by UsBlkgal
    Unfortunately this service was not free.
    YES it is completely FREE!!

Aug 3, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Hey,

Whattaya know! I went back and downloaded the CCleaner! Thanks. I do not have any brain surgery breakthroughs that I am trying to hide, but it is nice to feel safe in my computer searches, no matter how trivial without having someone who doesn't live in our house having access of our computer. Many thanks for this information! I love the information that can be gleened through this site, I wish that I could solve everyone's questions... especially some of my own!
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 09:19 PM
    I love happy endings...

Now, understand that its still possible to access the info you are wishing to delete, it just takes a more educated person with better knowledge of computers. For the everyday shared computer, its probably good.

One note, if the browser isn't closed when you run the application, the history may not fully be deleted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Videos won't play on internet or show photos on psp internet [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with my psp not showing videos or photos on the internet, can someone please tell me why?:o

Private Caller [ 7 Answers ]

Can anybody help me or give me suggestions of what to do when a privite caller keeps calling my moms cell and my house phone and saying my name and my sister's and my moms name really softly... it freaks me out that they call 3 in the morning... what should I do? Anybody knows how to unblock a...

Private [ 1 Answers ]

Can an anonymous e'amil be traced back to the sender if you use hotmail or Yahoo or some place like that?

Private in data in internet café [ 5 Answers ]

I use internet in an internet café. Everybody must download to the same folder and it is not secure to place my data there. What I must do to make my data secure. Is there any kind of software that ask for password when we want to view a folder that do not require administrator right to install...

View more questions Search