Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cutie08 Posts: 121, Reputation: 2

Jul 31, 2007, 03:29 PM
    My dog has issues
    OK so I have this dog and he had issues he won't let us get another dog or he gets depressed but the only dogs that we have tried is puppies that are females
    And now I want to get my old dog back who is 5 years old and a male so do you think that if we got him back my new dog would do better with and older male then a puppy female?

Please help soon
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Why don't you just give it a trial run and see how they get along? Is there any reason you can't return the dog to whoever has been taking care of him if it doesn't work out?

You also have to understand that it does take time for dogs to accept any new dog into the home. Depression does happen frequently because they are suddenly thrown into a situation where they are unsure of their pack rank. It is not necessarily because they don't like the new dog or refuse to accept it. It is because next to their owners, they were top dog and getting all the attention. With a second dog in the mix, the attention of the owner is now spread to both dogs. It takes time, but if you are willing to work at it and can give them both the attention necessary, the dogs work it out between them and will eventually adjust to the new living arrangements.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Your right ruby. When I first got my giz, Nee,Nee was so gloomy/or downright nasty for a week or so. But she adjusted. Now they are best friends they do not snuggle, but they play almost everyday and eat out of different bowels but side by side.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 05:36 PM
    I was just fostering a lab mix we christened Monroe. Probably the easiest rescue I have had to work with. He was a real love. He went to his forever home yesterday. Ruby liked him and they had the best time playing together, but each night, she couldn't figure out why he wasn't leaving. She gets very pushy about her pack rank with other dogs. But after a week or so of the sorrowful sighs and dirty looks she throws my way, she and the other dog work it out, especially if they are a willing playmate, and she eventually settles down. She is busy walking around the house now looking for him. It is a bit rough on her, having to keep adjusting to the ever changing revolving door of dogs. But, it is the life we have and she is starting to make the adjustments more quick each time.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Bless ruby, before long she will be pointing the dogs in need out.:)
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Cutie, as I told you in the PM, I am posting your follow up question here to your thread.

heyy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the thing is when we get a new dog mine he stops eating altogether wont play wont look at my mom or i or anything and i really just want to get my old dog back too
    we took my dog to the vet who said if we dont get rid of the puppy my dog would end up dying but i was jsut thinkg that we always got puppier so if maybe i get my dog back who is 5 by now he might not have as many problems
    because the puppy alaways gets more attention because of house training and everything and plus the puppy always wants to play and is always charging at my dog so do you think a dog thats older than him might work out better?

Cutie, I really can't give you a definite answer. I am sorry. I don't know either one of the dogs. That is why I suggested you do a trial run and see if your dog will accept an older dog. Obviously, if he appears to get so distraught as to create a health hazard for himself, then it just won't work and you should bring the "newcomer" back to where he was living. It might be worth one last attempt at a test to see if an older dog will fit in better. You are right about the puppies getting more attention. Make sure you give your dog as much attention as he has always received and see if that works.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 05:47 PM
    LOL, bushg. My problem is when I see a good fit with Ruby, as Monroe was, it is very hard to give them up!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 08:11 PM
    I would stick with the male/female combination, the one leastlikely tocause problems. Perhaps try a little older one, maybe past 3 and no longer interested in puppy biting games. And please,please, please spay/neuter.
    happylady123 Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Aug 2, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Try introducing the dogs in mutual territory like a park. Dogs can get aggressive if the are introduced in their homes they can feel threatened. I suggest get whatever dog you want comfortable with your current dog before you move it in. When the dog does come in the house make sure you give both of them equal amounts of attention, you don't want your current dog to feel like he's been replaced. Good luck.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Aug 2, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Depressed? Perhaps you are humanizing the dog just a bit. It is more than likely pack behavior and his way of adjusting to this new situation. Some dogs tend to withdrawl when a new pack member comes into the home. Is he insecure normally or more of an outgoing personality.. If it is only a mild social withdrawl then he will come around on short order, so long as you don't baby him and reinforce (reward him with praise) for being socially withdrawn and distant

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog potty training issues [ 2 Answers ]

I've posted on here with very similar issues and they continue. Our 7 month old las shepherd mix will not go potty out side we can walk around for over an hour and she refuses to go then as soon as we are back inside she goes pee and poop on the carpet. We used to have a doggy door that she used...

Our dog is having incontinence issues after having 2 seizures [ 1 Answers ]

We have a goldendoodle who is almost 2 years old. We found out over the summer she has epilepsy. She has been fine on the medication, only a seizure here and there maybe once a month. Well yesterday she had 2 grand mal seizures and since then she has urinated in the house 4 times. It is...

Errection issues or Attraction issues [ 3 Answers ]

Folks! - I have a problem. I'm 26, my girlfriend is 20 - We both hold eastern values (for the most part) and I've been with her for about 1 year now - we've been having regular sex everyday pretty much for about 8/9 months now - and by regular sex I mean sex every day, sometimes couple of times...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search