Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Phoenix25 Posts: 203, Reputation: 5

Jul 27, 2007, 11:40 PM
    What can I do Hypothyroidism
    I think I might have hypothyroidism but I don't want to go to the doctor to find out because I am 16 and really over weight (115 kg) Plus I don't want to be on the medication for it either so does anyone know a way I can lose weight without the drugs?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2007, 05:14 AM
    You are not going to absolutely and correctly know if you have Hypothyroidism unless you see your doctor. You may or may not have an underactive thyroid. To try and doctor yourself is not safe. Besides, if you do have Hypothyroidism, your doctor will be the one to recommend a plan of treatment, as well as weight management.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 05:29 AM
    Just because you are overweight does not mean you are hypo. It would not hurt to go to doc and get some blood drawn to be tested. If you have this prob. It is best to treat it because left untreated it can and will create other problems that may not be so easy to treat.

Before you go to doc. Try this at home. Make a log of what you are eating and your daily activities. Review this with your doc. Most young people nowadays spend too much time in front of the computer and not enough time in the fresh air. Foods are to processed and too much sugar for a growing mind and body.

Good luck
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 05:39 AM
    I've been diagnosed as hypothyroid for over 16 years and I can tell you that without a diagnosis you will not get better and not taking the medication will make it worse. Hypothyroidism is a disease and left untreated you can get gravely ill (I know I've been there).

Also, a diagnosis of hypothyroidism and being on the medication is not a guarantee of weight loss either. Sometimes getting on the right dose of medication can help but you still have to watch what you eat and exercise in order to lose weight. If you are hypo it is an uphill battle to lose weight and you will have to be really careful about everything you eat and getting the right amount of exercise.

I'll tell you that for me to lose 10 pounds it typically takes me about 6 months and that's with doing Weight Watchers and exercising for at least 2 hours every single day.

I urge you to go get tested because walking around hypothyroid with no medication is really, really dangerous. Your thyroid regulates a ton of stuff in your body. And as danielnoahsmommy said just being overweight does not mean you are hypo - do you have a foggy memory, are you constantly hot when everyone else is cold or vice versa, do you feel extremely sluggish, depressed, do you lose clumps of hair - all of those are signs of hypothyroidism. Go to the doctor. You cannot get better with it.
    kris12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 07:41 PM
    I've had hypothyroidism since my 2nd grade year in school I had a cist that had to be removed. You do need to c a doctor because if you have it this condition needs to be treated several symptoms can occur and worsen. Plus you want no for sure until you do see a doctor and your levels are checked.
    Phoenix25 Posts: 203, Reputation: 5

Feb 15, 2011, 11:12 PM
    Hi thanks I went to the doctor a while ago now and I have hashimotos ( under active thyroid) and just recently was told that I have pcos as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hypothyroidism [ 2 Answers ]

I am 34 years old and have both of my sides of my thyroid removed in two separate surgerys over the past month. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos disease and now am "without thyroid" I just went through my radiation last week and now have been given a Clean bill of health, :) However, I have put...

Hypothyroidism + coconut oil =? [ 2 Answers ]

Does coconut oil help people with Hypothyroidism lose weight?

Hypothyroidism tests [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know if your thyroid levels are checked during a regular physical? I had labs done and the doctor was interested in checking one thing that was going on with me and I forgot to ask him. The reason I ask is because it seems I have to work at just keeping my weight steady. If I...

View more questions Search