Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Georgie Sue 714 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 05:41 PM
    Cat About To Go In Labour.
    :confused: What do I have to do for my daughter's cat when she has her kitties? She seems to hide in the basement lately, but we don't want her down there, where else can we set up her box? Also can we pick up the kittens once they're born?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Feline How-To Manual: Pregnancy and Delivery ~ Pawprints and Purrs, Inc. Please pay close attention to what a nursing mother needs to eat. Pay attention to how soon she can go into heat. Please give spaying her some consideration. Take a look at this site they have some really good information on cat/kittens needs and medical reasons as to why a cat is better off being spayed.ASPCA: Pet Care: Cat Care I would the handle kittens as little as possible.
    daisymactx Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Jul 27, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Since spaying is not an option at this point ;-) you are just going to have to let her let you know what to do. If you don't want her in the basement, lock her out, but find a quiet, dark place that she is comfy with and put her box there. If she is close to your daughter, take some dirty clothes, that you don't mind sacrificing, and put them in the box.

We had a kitten that my daughter brought home and then found out she was PG. When she went into labor at 3am she insisted on laying on my stomach, in our bed, howling and twitching. I had to get a laundry basket, put some old towels in it, and sit with her through the entire process. I couldn't even go to the bathroom unless someone else was petting her. After she gave birth she was fine with us handling the newborn, but only after she had done her job and jumped out of the basket. If the mommy snarls, or growls leave the babies alone.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Some cats like their favourite people around them when they are in labour, some even love a soft tummy/back rub.
    If you think the cat would like this,do stay nearby,but if she fusses then maybe she wishes to be alone.

About picking up the kittens, I think the first few hours it is best to let them be unless there is any abnormal bleeding etc as they would need to suckle and also this would give the mother a rest after the labour.

Just my opinion from my own experience with cats!! :) (around 10-11 cats have come and gone at different stages of my life)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my cat in labour [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm really new to this but my cat is due and she has been a little weird for days it looks like she is in pain she sleeping a lot babies are moving a lot her breathing is fast but she still eating and everything ill read said she will stop eating and is it true they onloy give birth at night...

Direct labour rate [ 1 Answers ]

How do you calculated the direct labour hour rate per unit, I'm given the direct labour £ 300,000 and total budgeted direct labour hours is 30,000 hours, budgeted units produced is 400

Labour unions [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently studying labour unions, and I need to know some advantages and disadvantages of unions in general

Labour law in canada [ 1 Answers ]

I was an RN who worked full time for twenty years in ontario.I had to quit do to illness and went on disability.I see the laws now are for a disabled worker to be entitled to severance pay.I was wondering if I could go back and seek this now.Im not sue when it became law.I went of sick in 99 and...

Labour issues in France [ 4 Answers ]

I just recently heard about something that's been going on in France about labour. I hear that France changed the minimum age at which a worker can be fired with no reason (or something). This sounds pretty interesting. But I've been having some trouble finding specific info online. Can anyone...

View more questions Search