Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hook123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Mortgage refinance misrepresentation
    Is there any recourse against the mortgage company for fraud and or misrepresentation after signing with the title company?
    alsmiley Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Jul 23, 2007, 11:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hook123
    Is there any recourse against the mortgage company for fraud and or misrepresentation after signing with the title company?
    What did they misrepresent?

Generally if you've signed the papers, it means that you have read over everything (I know so unfair) and understood all the terms and conditions. It also means that all the information they have put forward and the informaion that you have providedis correct and true.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Hello hook:

If you were lied to, there IS recourse. You'll need a lawyer in order to get it, though.

excon
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

Jul 24, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hook123
    What's at issue?

The lender had to provide you with a Truth In Lending and Good Faith Estimate. Have the person you dealt with walk you through that again and see how different it is from the final documents.

If your transaction differed SIGNIFICANTLY (as determined by a court) then yes, maybe you can sue successfully. It usually takes about $50,000 in attorney's fees and 18 months in my jurisdiction. Check locally to see what fees and time prevail. Or, you can meet with an attorney for an hour (about $200) and get an idea of where you'd stand if you sued.

A better solution is to approach the Dept of Financial Institutions in your Secretary of State's Office and see if there are other complaints about this lender.

Also, do a Google search. You'll find several lenders have class action suits against them that you might want to join if this is one.

But, most likely, your best bet is to figure your "break even" point and refinance then. I wouldn't be shy about telling friends and family not to deal with that lender.
    sparky36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 07:59 AM
    The Mortgage person came to house representing a large bank but instead of going with the bank he represented he tried to get the loan through another source in the mean time I lost my job and could not show proof of income however my wife works and I have a 401k ith 300-400 thousand dollars in. I am paying the loans now what shold I do ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2010, 08:03 AM

Hello s:

If you have no income, you're not going to get a loan NO MATTER which mortgage person you apply with. Besides, why do you care which bank you make your house payment to?

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky36 View Post
    ... instead of going with the bank he represented he tried to get the loan through another source ...
    Still unclear. Did he get the loan through the other source? If so, what's the problem- where's the fraud?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refinance current mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

I owe 52k on first mortgage (payment = 469.00- including tax & insurance-int.rate 6.5 I owe 13k on second (3yrs left at 400.00 a month. I owe 7k on credit card I can refinance for 72k for approx 570.00 a month, 30 yrs... at cost of 1686.00 for re-finance at int rate of 6.375, I have...

Refinance of a mortgage [ 5 Answers ]

Three years ago my father passed away. In order to assist my mom with costs and remaining in the house she has lived in for so many years I refinanced the home. I refinanced the home with her and I on the mortgage as well as the deed. I am now looking to move on and buy a house of my own and my...

Refinance mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I claimed Chapter 13 Bankruptcy 2 years ago and have been paying. We will not be paid off for another 3 years. Our current mortg. Is a 20 year and if we could get it to a 30 year our payments would be lower and that would help with our payments. The current lender is not...

How will Quit Claiming a Deed to me allow me to refinance a mortgage in my name only [ 2 Answers ]

I am living in a relatives home and paying rent. My relative wants to Quit Claim the deed to me so that I can refinance the mortgage in my name. My relative has not lived in this home for over a year and she wants to get rid of this obligation a cheaply as possible. How can we do this, legally? (In...

Buyers agent misrepresentation [ 3 Answers ]

I have been in the process of purchasing a home through a buyers agent. The process has been long and we have passed the contracted settlement date. The sellers agent made me aware that another offer was now on the table but the sellers would still like to go through us as long as we had all our...

View more questions Search