Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DesertedSweetie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 02:24 AM
    California Divorce
    I am a New Zealand who until 15 months ago was married to a Californian. We were in business and living in New Zealand. He has returned to California leaving behind substantial debt for which I am now being held responsible. This is debt for which he is legally morally and ethically responsible and it is only his geographical distance that is protecting him now.

He has applied for a divorce in California and has now registered a notice of default with the California Superior Court.

I am happy to divorce him but he claims there is no shared debt and I do not want the California Court to make a judgement about that based on his false claims. What I want is that he pay his share of the debt.

I believe he cannot sue me in California but must sue me in my own country. I also believe that the California Court cannot have jurisdiction over debt in New Zealand. However if they do not know about the debt they will make a judgement based on the false information they currently have.

I have a debt collector in California who can collect for me, however if the divorce process currently underway goes ahead I believe I will be in a position of being unable to collect from him.

What is my legal position and what can I do now?

Any information is appreciated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Hello Sweetie:

You have a complicated legal situation. Without a lawyer, you're toast.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 08:29 AM
    I don't believe that a California court would have jurisdiction over any debts that were contracted in New Zealand. That'd be an issue for New Zealand law, not California's. As far as the divorce goes, he may be able to do that in California. But as far as the debt goes, you'd be wise to talk to a New Zealand attorney.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertedSweetie
    What is my legal position and what can I do now?
    Hello again, Sweetie:

I don't know. I think I nailed it. Ok, maybe "toast" isn't a legal position...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California Divorce Status [ 1 Answers ]

After a divorce has been approved, there is a six-month waiting period before it is finalized. What is the legal status of the individuals? Do they still have any legal connection? For example, if one dies, are they still legally married? Or, if medical decisions are needed, are they responsible? ...

Marrying an Immigrant in California and Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I am on the verge of marrying a girl from Thailand and she has no money, and I have over a 100k in assets. If I marry her and do not have her sign a prenup then is she legally entitled to half my assets if we get divorced? I live in California and want to know what the rights our of the immigrant...

California divorce [ 6 Answers ]

I have been separated from my wife for about 4 or 5 years. We have a daughter together and have completely moved on with our lives. We get a long great but we simply have never gotten a divorce. I really need to get the process started now with my current relationship slowly moving that...

Divorce And Immigration Laws In California [ 5 Answers ]

I was roughly engaged and recently got married in February at the age of 18, my boyfriend at the time was having his immigration status reviewed so he asked to push the day forward. I agreed as to the fact that we were already engaged, he was terrified of being deported because of a domestic...

View more questions Search