speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 05:19 AM
    Them's fightin' words
    Here we go again...

Pope asserts Catholic primacy

By NICOLE WINFIELD

The Associated Press

Pope Benedict XVI said other Christian churches are defective.

LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy — Pope Benedict XVI reasserted the primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document released Tuesday that says other Christian communities are either defective or not true churches and Catholicism provides the only true path to salvation.

The statement brought swift criticism from Protestant leaders. "It makes us question whether we are indeed praying together for Christian unity," said the World Alliance of Reformed Churches, a fellowship of 75 million Protestants in more than 100 countries.

It was the second time in a week that Benedict has corrected what he says are erroneous interpretations of the Second Vatican Council, the 1962-65 meetings that modernized the church. On Saturday, Benedict revived the old Latin Mass, a move cheered by Catholic traditionalists but criticized by more liberal ones as a step backward from Vatican II.

The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which Benedict headed before becoming pope, said it was issuing the new document Tuesday because some contemporary theological interpretations of Vatican II's ecumenical intent had been "erroneous or ambiguous" and had prompted confusion and doubt.

The new document restates key sections of a 2000 text the pope wrote when he was prefect of the congregation, "Dominus Iesus," which riled Protestant and other Christian denominations because it said they were not true churches but merely ecclesial communities and therefore did not have the "means of salvation."

"Christ 'established here on earth' only one church," said the document released as the pope vacations at a villa in Lorenzago di Cadore, in Italy's Dolomite mountains.

The other communities "cannot be called 'churches' in the proper sense" because they do not have apostolic succession — the ability to trace their bishops back to Christ's original apostles — and therefore their priestly ordinations are not valid, it said.
    Perhaps I should rethink my view of Catholicism?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 05:20 AM
    That is sad to see indeed.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Well that is a surprise to me, I thought that this was already the view.

Wait, sorry, I see it says reasserted. Carry on.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 05:30 AM
    The article complains, and cites complainers but makes no effort to show people the extent of what Benedict said, and in context (ie, a link to the document).

To note, the document, apparently, is not anything new to add to "official Catholic teaching"... but just his illumination on what has been taught for 2000 years.

Don't take that wrong, though. Here is some of what the Catholic Church "Officially" (that is, according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC)) teaches about non-Catholic Christians:

""Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth"273 are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."274 Christ's Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,275 and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."276"

For more, see this section of CCC:
    Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jul 11, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Now is that the actions of a saint or what? Glad the pope is beginning to show his true colours
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marily
    Now is that the actions of a saint or what? Glad the pope is beginning to show his true colours
    But he is saying exactly what you say here all the time: "other Christian communities are either defective or not true churches".

I'm confused. :confused:
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Here is the full context of the document:
    Responses to Some Questions Regarding Certain Aspects of the Doctrine on the Church

So much hooplah over nothing. Some reporters are reporting a mellower version of the story including that "Local Protestants disagreed with the Vatican's declaration, but they and local Catholics said it is not new and shouldn't affect relationships between Catholics and other religions" (citation)

Regardless, though. Now that you have what the document really says, you can form your own opinion of it yourself, instead of letting others tell you what you should think about what it says.
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    The article complains, and cites complainers but makes no effort to show people the extent of what Benedict said, and in context (ie, a link to the document).
    RickJ, here is the document. There'll be more from me as the day goes on. I'd kind of like to see what everyone has to say first :)
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Now, here is the reasonable way to report a story such as this. Here we find a summary of the story, the document in it's entirety, followed by commentary on the document:

www.chiesa

Obviously AP is not interested in what the document says, they're just interested in creating and flaming up the hooplah.
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jul 11, 2007, 07:37 AM
    I don't know speechlesstx,

I can't get upset over it... who cares. I don't. I think the pope is a joke. I'm not attacking him as a person, I am attacking the position. I feel sure I will be disagreed with and condemend for saying such... but I stand by the Word of God... period.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 07:49 AM
    The crux of the Pope's statement seems to be around Apostolic Succession, which is the Roman Catholic position that there must be a direct line of succession of priests all the way back to Peter. But the Epsicopal Church (a protestant denomination for sure) also espouses this - part of the Nicene Creed that Episcopaleans (and all Anglicans) recite every Sunday says "I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church..." And indeed the ordination of priests requires a Bishop who himself is part of the Apostolic Succession, so that the line continues on. So the Pope's criticism is unfounded, at least with respect to Episcopaleans/Anglicans.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Benedict appears bent on erasing all the ecumenical progress that John Paul made. I have to study the matter a little more as I'm hoping his words are narrowly based on apostolic succession . The Christian world can survive a theological disagreement... certainly we've gone beyond blowing up each others churches. But this is a time that the Christian world needs to unite against the many forces that oppose it. I think the Pope has some spainin to do .
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Benedict appears bent on erasing all the ecumenical progress that John Paul made. I have to study the matter a little more as I'm hoping his words are narrowly based on apostolic succession . The Christian world can survive a theological disagreement ....certainly we've gone beyond blowing up each others churches. But this is a time that the Christian world needs to unite against the many forces that oppose it. I think the Pope has some spainin to do .
    I think he has some splainin' to do, too. Once you study it out, please give us some more of your insight. I'll get to splainin' my position on this eventually :D
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 11, 2007, 02:01 PM
    John 14:6 ------ Does not say anything about which denomination one should be??
    Ephesians 2:8-10

Grace and Peace
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 02:05 PM
    I should probably shut up... but I just can't! :)

1. I don't hear any reasonable comments about what's in the document, only comments about what AP says it's about.

2. As for authority and all that: So many forget that we had no "Bible" until 300 years after Christ... and that the New Testament is full of exhortations to listen to the tradition that was taught them... and listen to the leaders...

Read the document folks.
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    I should probably shut up...but I just can't! :)

1. I don't hear any reasonable comments about what's in the document, only comments about what AP says it's about.

2. As for authority and all that: So many forget that we had no "Bible" until 300 years after Christ...and that the New Testament is full of exhortations to listen to the tradition that was taught them...and listen to the leaders....

Read the document folks.
    Rick, I think the Pope opened up a can of worms here that would have best been left closed. I'm no fan of al-AP, but this document is going to cause a stink no matter how they reported it. And again, eventually I plan on giving my take on it - I'm mostly just watching reactions here for now. I'll put it this way though, I still love my Catholic friends, brothers and sisters - but there are valid reasons many a non-Catholic resents the Roman Catholic church and this document just poured salt in old wounds.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Throwing my hat in here too. I do not see where Pope Benedict is saying anything new about the "trueness" of the Catholic Church. I don't see where Pope Benedict is trying to dismantle Vatican II. When he revived the Latin Mass, I cheered. I am a throw back to those Latin Masses, having learned in parochial school and I have missed that part of the Mass celebration. That is part of the reason I turned away from Catholicism. The tradition was fading too fast. The reverence and respect were becoming just talk.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 03:11 PM
    These two articles come from the Zenit website:

The Subsisting Church of Christ
    Interview With Father Augustine Di Noia - The World Seen From Rome

Holy See Clarifies Meaning of "Subsist"
    Debate Stems From Vatican II Document - The World Seen From Rome

Perhaps those will shed some insight.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 05:18 AM
    The appropriateness is really besides the point Steve. We both cheered the Pope when he spoke unvarnished by PC about Mohammed . Agree or disagree that view has been Catholic doctrine for some time.

Where I think clarification is needed is in that Vatican II acknowleged that there is a path to salvation for non-Catholics. The word catholic means universal and I fear that he is moving away from much of Vatican II and the ecuminism that JPII worked so hard at . We are one in the Spirit and the Lord .

The Decree On Ecuminism
    Over the centuries differences between Christians have led to profound divisions, but modern times have seen a great movement towards unity; and the decree begins by saying, "Christ the Lord founded one Church and one Church only. One of the principal concerns of this Council is the restoration of unity among all Christians."

1. All who have been "justified by faith in baptism" are members of the Body of Christ; they all have the right to be called Christian; the children of the Catholic Church accept them as brothers.

2. The Catholic Church believes that the separated Churches and communities "are efficient in some respects." But the Holy Ghost makes use of these Churches; they are means of salvation to their members.

3. Catholics are encouraged to join in Oecumenical activity, and to meet non-Catholic Christians in truth and love. The task of "Oecumenical dialogue" belongs to theologians, competent authorities representing different Churches.

4. Catholics should not ignore their duty to other Christians --- they should make the first approach. Even so, the primary duty of the Church at the present time is to discover what must be done within the catholic Church itself; to renew itself, to put its own house in order. Catholics sincerely believe that theirs is the Church of Christ; everything necessary must be done that others also may clearly recognize it as Christ's Church.

5. The ecumenical movement can make no progress without a real change of heart. Theologians and other competent Catholics should study the history, teaching and liturgy of separated Churches. All Christians have a common purpose -- to confess Christ before men. Practical expression must be given to this, by relieving the distress which afflicts so many of the human race: famine, poverty, illiteracy, the unequal distribution of wealth, housing shortage.

6. In appropriate circumstances prayers for unity should be recited jointly with non-Catholic Christians. Catholics are to be directed in this by their bishops, subject to the decisions of the Holy see.

7. Between the catholic Church and Western non-Catholic Christian communities, important differences remain; these differences are most evident in the interpretation of truth revealed by God. But the bonds of unity are already strong; their strength must be put to use. The bonds are, chiefly, the fact that Christians believe in the divinity of Christ and the fact of reverence for God's word revealed in the Bible.

8. In the cause of ecumenism, the Catholic must always remain true to the Faith that he has received. Impudent zeal in this matter is a hindrance to unity and not a help. So also is any attempt to achieve a merely superficial unity.
    The Second Vatican Ecumenical Council - Dedicated to "The Immaculate".

Shygrneyzs I am also a big fan of the Latin liturgy . I learned it in my alterboy training days and then the English vernacular was introduced before I had a chance to really put my Latin into practice.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Tomder, you point out good things. The above about summarizes my own lay-apostolate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Words in a song [ 4 Answers ]

I stepped out side to smoke a j went back in and the room began to sway

My intuition or his words [ 10 Answers ]

If your boyfriend tells you " If you think I'm cheating, then pack up and leave". He has cheated on me before. Is he saying he is cheating and he wants me to leave, or is it to mess with my head? I want to understand what he really means. I know Im stupid and blinded by love. We have been...

Alpabetizing words [ 2 Answers ]

Alphabetically which comes first its or it's ?

Words to a poem [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the words to a poem/saying which starts - Don't worry about what you cannot change don't try to change what you cannot??

In 5 Words or less: What are you? [ 145 Answers ]

I'm just curious. I know a few of you but not many. I'm not looking for debate or comment, just wondering... Me: Ecumenical Evangelical Roman Catholic Christian

View more questions Search