Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coledesigned Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2005, 06:45 AM
    Accidents in crate on purpose?
    My Basset/terrier WAS crate trained. I am home most of the day but when I leave it is for ver short periods. In the last couple of weeks he has progressivly gotten worse about pooping and peing in the crate. The first time it happened we excused it as an accident, then a few days later we excused it again... now it is every time I leave the house even if it is for 10 minutes (where I used to not crate him for the short trips without incident).

I am not sure how to correct this. He is otherwise a smart and happy puppy. Any advise is appreciated!
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 6, 2005, 09:39 PM
    Hello, are you using a large crate, if the crate is too large they will sometime learn to use one corner on the cage as a spot urinate or defecate in. Do you take him out before you put him in the crate and take him outside as soon as you let him out of the crate and are you leaving the puppy something to keep him occupied while you are gone like a favorite toy of a blanket. Sorry for all the question :confused: but it is hard to help sometimes.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2005, 06:56 AM
    Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. Dogs are not mature until about 3 years old. As they mature, they challenge you for leadership and status. Firmly establishing your status as top dog will help.

Eliminating in the crate is a very effective way of upsetting you and proving you can't control him. You need to reduce the consequences to you. Remove the bedding and replace it with a rack. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. Urine goes through the rack and can easily be sponged up. Bowel movements don't work quite as well, but still limit how much of a mess he can make of himself.

Stand your ground. Do all the top dog stuff, eating first, go through the doorway first, reserve the best sleeping places, make him move out of your way, make him sit quietly before opening the door for him or feeding him, etc. Use the rack to reduce the problem. Control your emotions. They are hard to hide form a dog. As his protest is less and less effective, and you show you are top dog, he should give it up before long.

Neuter him if not already. It is no cure all, but does reduce behavior problems. Certainly dogs with behavior problems should not be used as breeding stock. It also reduces chances of cancer in later life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Accidents in crate [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old Amstaff that I've had for about 1 1/2 months. I am 8 months pregnant and am home all the time. I think my puppy has gotten a little to used to being around me all the time. I want to go back to work after the baby so I decided to buy the dog a crate to start training him to...

Crate training [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my friend has a 5 month-old min-pin, she got him from someone who got exasperated with trying to house-train him because he kept peeing and pooping in his crate. I told her to make sure he uses the bathroom before bed and all that and she has done that but he is still doing it. I thought I'd...

Car Accidents [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know what if anything a person could do if they were involved in a accident 7 or 8 months ago and it was never turned in to insurance. I was involved in an accident where I hit someone else's car... after the accident she told me that she would not turn it in to the insurance if I...

8 month old still has accidents in crate (NEW) [ 6 Answers ]

I saw this thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=6672&highlight=dog+crate And I am a bit disappointed (and concerned) that there was no resolution. I have the same problem with an alternative bullbreed that goes in her cage almost every night. I will try something new...

View more questions Search