Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cwilliams45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Child Support
    If I'm not the natural father of my wife's two kids, but I signed the birth certificates for them later after we were married, will I have to pay child support for them if we divorce.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Birth certificate does not mean anything if you have to pay or not, you being the father is all that matters, if you are listed as the father on the birth certificate, all that means is they do not have to get a DNA test to prove you are the father.

So yes if you are the father of two children and you are not living together you will have to pay child support
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 20, 2007, 06:04 AM
    You can be considered the father, for all legal intents and purposes, even if you aren't the bio dad. So, yes you can be ordered to pay child support. Check your states paternity statutes, they are usually quite clear.
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8

Jun 20, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Hi,

I can tell you what would happen here in Florida. If your wife came into the child support office to file a case against you, we would pursue you as the father because your name is on the birth certificate. She would then be able to go into family court regarding her divorce and tell the judge her child support is being handled by the local child support office. The judge would then address other issues such as property, visitation, custody, etc. Or she could pursue everything under the divorce case (child support, arrears, visitation, custody, property, etc) Now if you feel that you don't want to pay child support for the children, you would have to do some heavy duty explaining to a judge on why you signed the birth certificate of children who were not yours and wanted to be responsible at that time. You can make it an issue but I have to tell you that here you would have a hard time wiggling out of paying child support but it depends on the laws of your state and the judge on your divorce case.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 08:10 PM
    I would ask how in the world did you manage to sign as Father to the two children without having to go to the biological Father and have his rights terminated? But whatever... you are considered the legal Father. You will be paying child support.
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8

Jun 20, 2007, 08:17 PM
    Most likely, no one was named on the birth certificate and that is how he was able to just sign the kids birth certificates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Ex-Wife not paying child support of seeing the child [ 10 Answers ]

We just recently got the divorce final my I got custody and she is suppose to have visitation every other weekend she will pick her up Friday and drop her off Saturday. She was suppose to take her for the whole month of June and July but said she cannot because she has no one to watch her. She...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

View more questions Search