Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maflor07 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 11:58 AM
    URGENT: Court date for name change
    Hello everyone!
    I have an 11 yr old son that has his bio father's last name. We have not seen him or heard from him for 10 1/2 yrs. I have full custody of my son. Now that my son is getting older my husband and I would like to change his last name to ours. My husband has cared for my son since he was 1 yr old. He is the only dad he knows. I filed the petition for name change at my local court. I published the notice in the newpaper since it's part of the process. My cort hearing is tomorrow but now I have one major problem, I have no proof of service because I have no idea where the bio father is. I haven't seen or heard from him in a long time. He has never paid child support and has never tried to contact my son. My question is: Now what will happen in court? What will the judge tell me since I have no proof of service?
    Please help.

Thank you
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Jun 13, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Take in the article you posted in the paper... I would think that is all you can do if you truthfully have no way of being able to find the father.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 13, 2007, 02:33 PM
    YOu can take your bill in from the paper to show the length of time that it was published. This may satisfy as your proof of service.

Jun 13, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Actually the newspaper filed a copy of the notice.

Thank you very much for all your help. I hope everything goes well tomorrow.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 13, 2007, 03:25 PM
    I'm curious about something here. Why is your husband not adopting your son, why just changing the name?

You seem to have gotten a list of procedures to attempt to locate the bio father. All you need to do is show the court you followed those procedures.

Jun 13, 2007, 03:38 PM
    That's what we wanted to do from the start, but we thought this was going to be much faster. Are you familiar with adoption? What do I have to do? Do I have to get an attorney?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 13, 2007, 06:02 PM
    While the adoption process may be longer, I think its worth it. You have to go through a similar process and I would suggest an attorney. But you can talk to the people at family court and they probably have an instructions booklet on what you need to do.
    nanajo1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

Jun 13, 2007, 07:46 PM
    I agree with scott hon, adoption is the getter way.
    It is always best to have a lawyin these situations so that the ex can't come crawling out of the wood work and sue on a technicality later. Never take chances in a family law case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Court Date [ 1 Answers ]

If a court date has been set 9 months from today what can happen in the meantime, can it be deferred, can there be a settlement before it gets to court. Thank you

Court Date Set [ 1 Answers ]

In addition to my thread below, I received my small claims court date for the end of June. Midland is being represented by a local attorney. I am filing my intend to defend on Monday. I want to also send a discovery for documents (ex. Contract, payments, proof of last payment). Should I do this or...

Missed court date ! [ 5 Answers ]

My 52 year old mother inlaw picked up her only second speeding violation in all those years and misses her court appearance by one day.She thought it was on the 27th all this time not the 26th anyway the fine was 175.00 so now what kind of trouble is she in now.Do you wait for the next letter? Or...

Not informed of Court date! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone! This is my first post so please bear with me. I am in divorce proceedings and my husband and I went to mediation already and could not agree on a couple of things. Basically, he has been gone for 3 years and has not even seen our son since. I have major concerns over him having any...

View more questions Search