Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NephroRN Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Bouncy floorboards and no subfloor
    :confused: I'm looking for some suggestions on securing some of the oak hardwood floorboards that are bowed upwards and bouncy. The house is over 100 years old and there is no subfloor. The floorboards are in good shape (other than not being flat) and are about 3/4-1 " above the joist. This is only affecting an area of about 5' square and is more toward the center of the room which is 14' x 27'. The rest of the boards are pretty solid. Any suggestions? I don't want to pull up the whole floor to add a subfloor as this would raise it above the rest of the floors. The joists are exposed so bracing may be an option, but the boards are still elevated and there is no subfloor to secure them down to.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

May 25, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Are you sure it is the oak bowed up and not the joists sagging? Since the joists are exposed, it should be easy to put shims between the oak and the joist.

You could also attach the oak to the joists using hot dipped finish nails or "squeek stoppers" (Google it).
    NephroRN Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 02:52 PM
    The joists are level, not sagging. The floorboards visibly bow upward and you can see the motion from below since there isn't a subfloor.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 28, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Your Going To Have To Face Nail The Boards Back Down, You Need To Hand Drive These Nails I Wouldn't Use A Nail Gun For This, Use Some 10 Penny Finish Nails, Predrill 2 In Each Board Per Joist That Should Pull It Back Down

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floorboards smell of rotten veg! [ 2 Answers ]

Bought my house a year ago. It is a three storey house, with the ground floor filled in about 10 years ago. Recently smelled a rotten veg smell near kitchen table (on first floor). Smell getting worse so pulled up the carpet where smell seemed to be coming from and floorboards smell much worse....

What is a subfloor? [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a bathroom in my basement. Do I need to install a subfloor in the bathroom? Or is it okay to tile directly to the concrete floor?

Creaky floorboards [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Is there any way to fix creaky wooden floorboards? A friend told me talc between the boards but I have tried this & it didn't work. Thanks, Lu-lu

Bathroom subfloor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I had to replace the subfloor in my bathroom around the toilet not the whole thing just a cut out piece. Do I have to fill the gaps between my butted up pieces? If so with what? Secondly I also have to lay a partial piece of 3/4 on top of my base do I need to lay anything down on top of the...

View more questions Search