Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shirahjoy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 06:16 AM
    Threads won't seal
    I've replaced the faucet (whole kit and caboodle - valve body, faucets, everything) in the tub/shower of one of my bathrooms. The only things that aren't new are the pipe running to the showerhead and the water lines running to the faucet body.

I'm having a ****ens of a time getting the water line connections to seal. I've used the teflon tape (yes, I made triple sure I was putting it on in the correct direction) and two different kinds of plumber's putty - cleaning the fittings between applications of course to make sure the application was "pure". But I can't get it to be a leakproof seal. I finally got the hot side to seal with this last application of putty but the cold side just won't seal. The teflon tape worked better than the putty on that side but still had a couple of small leaks.

I'm not against pros but I kind of live out in the middle of no where and getting a plumber or any service professional to come out here is challenging at best and usually very expensive so I try to do the DIY route whenever possible.

Suggestions?
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 16, 2006, 04:46 PM
    How many times did you wrap the teflon tape around the threads before tearing it off the rest of the roll: one or two, or a whole bunch?

Awaiting your answer,
    Moishe
    Shirahjoy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 05:28 PM
    Right at twice. I guess sometimes it could be considered 2 1/2 once I got the excess after tear off down.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Feb 16, 2006, 05:57 PM
    Wrap the teflon around 5-6 times then add some putty on the teflon then turn it in. Usually I wrap the fittings 5-6 times and use a small dab of Blue Block pipe sealant. Make sure you stretch the tape tight when putting it on the fitting.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 17, 2006, 02:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirahjoy
    Right at twice. I guess sometimes it could be considered 2 1/2 once I got the excess after tear off down.
    Bingo! That seems to be your problem - follow skiberger's advice and wrap the teflon tape at least 5-6 times. If it still leaks, post back here.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, teflon tape does not "take up too much space" between the threads of the two fittings (unless, obviously, you wrap it WAY too many times) - in fact, the teflon tape actually "lubricates" the threads somewhat, making it easier to screw the fittings together.

Good luck,
    Moishe
    Note: if this post was helpful, please rate it by clicking "Comment on this Post" in the upper-right corner of this post. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Oil Seal [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Murray 18.5HP mower which is leaking oil badly onto the stack pulley. I am "assuming" this is due to a bad oil seal on the PTO side. I have bought the new seal and I am ready to put it on and I am wondering what is the best way to go about it. I have taken the deck off already. Is the...

Toilet Drain Leak - Bad Seal? [ 7 Answers ]

My home is 5 years old - first plumbing problem. Our first floor half-bath. I noticed a mold ring forming around the base of the toilet. It's coming from underneath the flooring. No smells/odor - yet. After reading other posts - I'm going to try to remove the toilet, inspect the seal /...

Toilet bowl seal [ 1 Answers ]

I took the toilet out of our bathroom. After I removed it, I found there was No wax seal, only a round rubber seal about two inches wide all the way Around. I have looked in stores for this, and have not seen one. I used A wax seal and I have a little bit of water leaking around the base. When...

Toilet ring seal [ 5 Answers ]

Could you help us settle an argument? One of our toliets is loose from the floor and I say the ring is broken (AND NEEDS TO BE FIXED). My husband says that it only moves like 5 mm but it definitely rocks when you sit on it. The floor is not level in the bathroom. The tile next to the tub (which...

View more questions Search