Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JPANE5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 04:00 PM
    Why did my water pressure drop when I bypassed my water softener?
    I bypassed my water softener and the water pressure in the entire house dropped. I though the opposite usually happens? Anyone have any ideas? Thank you!
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2011, 04:04 PM

Is the bypass actually causing a restriction? As in smaller diameter pipe, or a damaged pipe? Are all valves completely open or closed?

Typically you are correct... however those are a couple possible reasons for what you are experiencing.
    JPANE5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 04:34 PM
    The pipes appear to be the same diameter as all the other pipes I see running downstairs.

For some background info:
    My water smelled like rotten eggs. Hot and cold. It's not coming from my well, we checked that water and it doesn't not smell. Thought it might be water heater and we replaced the rod in my hot water heater. That wasn't the problem. I believe it's my water softener. As a test I bypassed the water softener to see if we still had the smell. Once we ran water in the house the smell was gone. Then the drop in pressure. It's much lower than it was when the water softener was on. Flush the toilet and open a faucet and there's barely any pressure. I can't figure it out.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 11, 2011, 08:06 PM

Must be restriction in by pass valve. Can you disassemble it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a water softener cause low water pressure? [ 7 Answers ]

16 year old softnener. Water pressue drops from 40 psi to 22 psi when the downstairs toilet is flushed. Could this be caused by the water softener?

Low Water Pressure with NEW Water Softener [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced my old water softener yesterday with a new one. The difference between the two was the age. The old one come out and the new one went in to the same lines. With the water in bypass I have great water pressure throughout the house as soon as I turn the valve to service the water...

Low water pressure from my water softener [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently.. within the past few weeks noticed that my water pressure at all outlets has been reduced significantly. When I switch the bypass valve on the water softener I have great pressure everywhere. What is causing the lower water flow? My softener is about 6 years old.

Whole house cold water pressure drop off,public water pvc pipes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I searched the forums and didn't find my exact problem. So at every faucet in the house, the cold water drops off after initial turn on. House is on the public water main and was plumbed with PVC pipe. Just turned 5 yrs old I am guessing I have some kind of obstruction? There is a main...

Low water pressure new well pump is it the Water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, again I called a well service Co. and they replaced my well pump. It was barely functioning. Strangly the pervious install was a 220 volt pump and it was connected to 110, and it worked. That pump was about 20 years old. The new pump is a 110 volt pump. My problem now is occasional...

View more questions Search