Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amyb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Holes in floor joists
    Hi,
    We are adding a new addition to our current home. The plumber is putting in the plumbing and he has hacked away about 4 inches from our new floor joices. We are now concerned about the structure and the integrity of that. Its for a new bathroom with a toilet and a biddet and all floor tile. Do we ask our contractor about this and how he is going to handle the structure of this?? There are several floor joists that have been hacked away to connect the toilet and biddet. Some were cut away at the top like a u-shape and others were cut at the bottow like a u-shape. What do you suggest we do while the building is still in progress?

Thanks

Amy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 26, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Hi Amy,

Click on; http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...q=Joist+chases
    And open up the first item called "Building Regs" You will find your answer there. If your man notched 4 inches out of a 6 inch joist he removed 2/3ds of the joist and that's a no-no. Good luck, Tom
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Mar 20, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Please keep in mind that a weak subfloor will translate to cracked floor tiles if not addressed properly... also water is VERY HEAVY
    The notching is unusual.. it normally is drilled through with a big bit?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtconc
    please keep in mind that a weak subfloor will translate to cracked floor tiles if not addressed properly...also water is VERY HEAVY
    the notching is unusual..it normally is drilled thru with a big bit??
    Unless the Plumber is a hack, of course.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Sometimes floor joists are cut or notched [both no-no's] because they were not preplanned and the fixture can not be moved. A good framer can beef up those floor joists and/or add additional ones. Sometimes joist headers are put in, sometimes steel is added. Are you getting an inspection? Do you have a permit? Has the guy doing the wood assured you he can handle it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper underlayment for vinyl floor starting at floor joists [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to build up a floor to prepare for vinyl flooring? I'm building a mud-room in the garage attached to the house, 5' by 13' . Presently I have the joists installed and am ready for subfloor. I am planning to use 3/4" T&G UDL plywood, glued to joists with construction...

Drilling holes [ 2 Answers ]

I need to drill a4" vent hole for a water heater in side of my house to connect the venting. What is the best drill to use and any avice on problems imight run into?

Cantilever floor joists [ 6 Answers ]

I wish to replace the flat picture window in our house with a bow window. I want to extend the floor by sistering the existing joists and extending them out 24 inches from the wall. There is one catch though, the existing joists are imbedded in the concrete wall of the foundation. Any ideas out...

Drilling floor joists [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a central vac center as an installer and my boss says it is OK to drill 2 1/4 in holes in joists vertically and horizontally. He also tells me to drill in any board, laminated, tji, beams, anything. Is there codes for this?

Running Drain pipes through 2 x 8 floor joists. [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing an addition and need to move my 3" drain pipes. My question is can Holes be cut into the floor joists (2 x 8). to accept the 3" pipes. The pipes are for the upstairs bathrooms.

View more questions Search