Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qnman Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Is this what I think it is & how's it propogated?
    The attached image is that of a plant which, after a bit of research, I found to possibly be Cyclea Barbata Miers from the Menispermaceae family. I was also told that this plant is one of 3 that is used to make grass jelly, which would be great, if I had enough leaves, and if I knew it was actually edible. Incidentally, it also just happens to make a nice creeper.

Can anyone confirm the identity of this plant for me, and would anyone have any idea on how to propagate it?

Thanks!
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 09:15 AM

That is a very handsome plant, you say would make a good creeper. This info is from cobi.org, and no I can't identify it although it looks so familiar. Can confirm its edible though by this information:

Sorry I can't help you further, although I have had good results from taking strange looking flora to a garden nursery for identification. They have books and catalogues which they can use for immediate identification. That is what I would do if I had a leaf from this plant. I also find the dept. of agriculture in Ontario very helpful. I don't know where you live.

Title: Gel extracted from Khruea-ma-noi (Cyclea barbata Miers) leaves: chemical composition and gelation properties.
    Personal Authors: Arkarapanthu, A. Chavasit, V. Sungpuag, P. Phuphathanaphong, L.
    Author Affiliation: Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University, Salaya, Phutthamonthon, Nakhon Pathm 73170, Thailand.
    Editors: No editors
    Document Title: Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture

Abstract:

Gel extracted from Khruea-ma-noi leaves, which are widely consumed by villagers in Northeast Thailand, has a unique characteristic that could be used for food and nutritional applications, such as in therapeutic diets and in the food industry. Since little is known scientifically about this plant, this study identified the plant's scientific name and determined the chemical composition of the Khruea-ma-noi polymer and its gelling mechanism. Results reveal that Khruea-ma-noi is classified as Cyclea barbata Miers. Its main polymer is polygalacturonic acid of average molecular weight 741 kDa with 66.3% methylated. Dried powders of extract and purified gels contained 415 and 724 g kg-1 of soluble dietary fiber and 7.1 and 13.9 g kg-1 of divalent cations, respectively. Factors affecting gelling ability and characteristics include phenolic compounds, oxidizing and reducing agents, pH, divalent cations and temperature. Most gels formed were thermoreversible except at pH 7.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How's breakfast? [ 3 Answers ]

5. I was performing rounds at the hospital one morning and while checking up on a woman I asked, 'So how's your breakfast this morning?' 'It's very good, except for the Kentucky Jelly. I can't seem to get used to the taste' the patient replied. I then asked to see the jelly and the woman produced a...

How's this short story? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I just wrote a short story and I was wondering what everybody thought of it. It's the first one I have ever written so try not to bash it just to bash it. Other than that criticize it as much as you like.:) By the way I got the inspiration for it while reading a collection of short story's by...

View more questions Search