Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandymcmahan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 05:51 PM
    About a noncustodial parent
    My name is brandy and I am the custodial parent an dmy son is a month old and me and his father is not together any more and I do not work and nor do he and I don't want to be bother with him because he's very disrespectful and I will like to take him to court and give him visitation rights and plus he sit up and get high all day.How do I go by do this and will they take my baby from meand give him to him. :confused: :( :mad: :(
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 06:03 PM
    If he is getting high then why do you want to take him to court to give him visitation rights?
    You need to go apply for child support and if he comes up with the bright idea to go for visitation rights then deal with that then. I wouldn't even bring visitation rights up to him at all.
    If he does go for visitation rights you can tell them you don't feel it is a good idea because he is getting high. IF they do grant him visitation rights it would be something along the lines of every other weekend, some holidays and a week or so in the summer. If you can convince them that you don't trust his caring for the baby properly they could even make his visits supervised.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 06:06 PM
    If you and the babies father are no longer together, you need to file first for custody of the child, and for child support. If he wants visits, that is his part to request those, but you can file in your motion on what visits if you want him to have any.

Apr 17, 2008, 12:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    If you and the babies father are no longer together, you need to file first for custody of the child, and for child support. If he wants visits, that is his part to request those, but you can file in your motion on what visits if you want him to have any.

Why do i have to file for custody when i am the custodial parent and he's the noncustodial parentand i did file for child support , chlid support stepped in when my son was about two weeks old and i have a court date coming up the 7th of may.i don't understand. And like i said i am the custodial parent ,my child support papers say to the custodial parentand his paper say to the noncustodial parent and even if the papers didn't say custodial or noncustodial i still know that i am the custodial parent by law
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Apr 17, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Turn your caps off... Yelling is disrespectful and Chuck was just trying to help. I didn't read that you already had a court Order in your first post. It wasn't until the second one that you said it. We aren't mind readers... many people state that they are the Custodial Parent and they don't have an order stating so.

It's very hard to get a ruling changed. If you are the CP and its ordered then your ex, the NCP, would have to prove that you are unfit or he is the better parent for the child to be with. If, as you say, he gets high or he has a record of drugs then I would ask for visitation to stop or regular drug tests, If he's clean then he can see the child. Him getting physical custody of your child would be slim as it is already court ordered. I wouldn't worry about him getting your child should you go back to court, unless he can prove you unfit someway, and he would have to have a lot of things to back up the claim.
    squeaks77 Posts: 113, Reputation: 19
    -

Apr 17, 2008, 10:10 AM
    It would probably help if you got a job, just in case he gets his act together and wants custody.

Apr 17, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by squeaks77
    It would probably help if you got a job, just in case he gets his act together and wants custody.

Even if he got a job would the court still give him custody of my baby because he has got a job before even though he smoke weed, good job like at rail road, the bank (the money transporter)but he use other peoples urine. And now he's yelling that he's not getting a job any more :confused:
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Apr 17, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Are you going back to court? Who filed and why? If your son is a month old weren't you just in court for support and custody? You stated that you had an order that said you were the CP and he was the NCP, if that's true then why are you going back to court now? I would think you had to wait until a new case could be heard. In Virginia its 6month before they allow a case to be placed on the docket and then only if something major has happened.

Unless you have done something major and he has dirt on you to show the court then no he can't get your child from you. If you have done something and he knows -- get an attorney ASAP. Speaking of... If you are this worried about him getting you child then you might want to talk to an attorney anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arkansas education rights as a noncustodial parents [ 2 Answers ]

I'm curious as to what are my rights to my son's education as a noncustodial parent. He is performing below grade level and when I try to make a suggestion or say that I'm working with him on my designated time with him all his mother states is that I should have fun with him because he has a...

Paternal rights for noncustodial parent [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 22 yrs old and have a year and a half yr old daughter. Her father and I dated for sometime but are no longer together and don't speak either. His name isn't on the birth certificate and he has only seen her once when she was four months old. Does he have any rights?? Once paternity is...

Custody battle with an inconsistent noncustodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

My ex was never consistently their for my son. He didn't even meet him until he was 3 years old. We had no contact with him for the first two years, the next year had some spaced out in consistent phone calls. When he did finally visit my son I had to pay for half of his plane fair and house and...

Changing child's name w/out noncustodial parent's consent [ 17 Answers ]

I went and talked to a lawyer and he said my son is too young to change his name w/out the noncustodial parent's consent. I live in Arkansas and the father (noncustodial parent) won't give his consent even though he is never around. What should I do? My son wants his name changed back. The...

Child lives with noncustodial parent do I have rights? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has been staying with her father for 4 years,he has a court order to pay child support.He is taking me to court for custody of her.I recently moved into a larger home with my boyfriend so I have room now.The new wife he has has smacked her in the face twice and threw her out (12 years...

View more questions Search