Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smthomas721 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Background check
    I was offered a seasonal position at kmart in New York and they are doing a background check on me. Can they pull up a pending trial in Georgia for ftc fraud?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 06:30 PM

Hi, smthomas721!

If you've been charged with committing a crime, then yes they can.

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, smthomas721!

If you've been charged with committing a crime, then yes they can.

Thanks!
    Even if I haven't been convicted of it?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 06:57 PM

That would depend on what they're looking for. If they do a thorough enough background check to look for actual charges, then they will find them. Whether being charged with a crime matters to them, I don't know.

If this is something that's pending and you think that you might be convicted within the time frame of performing the job, then it would be in your best interests to be upfront with them about the charge. It would look a lot better for you that way in order to get the job.

What did it say on the job application about convictions and/or breaking the law in any way, please? It will help those who do come along to address your question to know that.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 09:38 PM

The record from the police and the public NCIC report will not show it to a public business. But a private search company may have the record since they get their info from newspapers, and all sort of of info.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 09:47 PM

We do background checks constantly as I am in a service business that requires my management people and workers to be in buildings that require security; financial, HIPPA Regs, and drug storage.

We use the Illinois State Police and we get whatever information we want or need in depth.

Stringer

Nov 7, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    That would depend on what they're looking for. If they do a thorough enough background check to look for actual charges, then they will find them. Whether being charged with a crime matters to them, I don't know.

If this is something that's pending and you think that you might be convicted within the time frame of performing the job, then it would be in your best interests to be upfront with them about the charge. It would look a lot better for you that way in order to get the job.

What did it say on the job application about convictions and/or breaking the law in any way, please? It will help those who do come along to address your question to know that.

Thanks!

The application asked were you convicted of any crimes in the past 7 years. I was convicted of a direct sale when I was a minor so they gave me my youth offender status and it was suppose to be sealed. But now I'm currently awaitind trial for credit fraud in the state of Georgia I had just wanted to know if they would see the pending charge. I haven't been arraigned for it yet.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smthomas721 View Post
    The application asked were you convicted of any crimes in the past 7 years. I was convicted of a direct sale when I was a minor so they gave me my youth offender status and it was suppose to be sealed. But now i'm currently awaitind trial for credit fraud in the state of Georgia I had just wanted to know if they would see the pending charge. I haven't been arraigned for it yet.

Yes, they will see the pending charge - at least in NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Job doing background check [ 12 Answers ]

I recently was pressed with charges for theft under 5000. My job interviewer today asked if I had ever been convicted. I told her no. She's going to do a background check, and my court date is next week. The question: Will I still have a criminal record leading into the court or does it take...

Background Check? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I have a theft charge. I got defered ajudification if that's how you spell it well that means I never get convicted charged and it will only say pending for a year then dismissed for two years then completely gone after 3 years. But I Want a job and I am not sure what will come up when they...

Background check [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any really free data bases available to do a background check on a person who is also a corporation in Oklahoma?

Background check [ 1 Answers ]

How far back does a backround check go? When a future employer searchs your backround do all my arrests describe themselves? For instance my current employer did a backround check and he said it kept coming back as a red flag. -Moved from Forum Help-

View more questions Search