Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnnyvang Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 05:46 PM
    Engine will start but not stay running
    I've got a 89 civic hatchback that will start and die when I let go of the key. I've have notice that I have no power when the key is in the second switch "power on selector" but have also notice that if I start the car and hold the key in the third swicth "start mode" the car stays running. It will run as long as I hold on to the key but will die as soon as I let go of it. I don't know what else to do except change out the key hole unit. Can anyone help me with why I have no power when the key is in the second selctor, could it be because my key hole unit has gone bad? I'm thinking if I can just get power to the second selector the enigne will stay running. Please help!!
    Thanks johnny
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 05:50 PM

Replace the ignition switch and harness and the problem will be solved:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652

Not a difficult job.

Here's what it looks like:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...gnition+switch

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1996 4.3L chevy engine won't start after a couple of days not running [ 3 Answers ]

If it's cold it's even worse, the lights all come on and it turns over, but won't start. Have changed the 4 sensors on it, the plugs, wires. Any Ideas

99 honda civic, engine light blinking, engine start jumping. [ 4 Answers ]

When I was driving home, my car start shaking, then I stopped and turn the engine off. When I started back up, the engine still little jumpy and the engine light start blinking. Did any body knows what's going on? Please help. Thanks

1994 Honda Civic Ex won't start or stay running [ 1 Answers ]

The car will start then will stop running, even sometimes while I'm driving. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel relay, distributor, main ecu, checked fuses, ground wires and I'm am at a loss. I have read a lot of posts about this problem here and I have noticed the txgreasemonkey has a lot of...

Car will not stay running [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 honda accord. I drive it for about 20 minutes and it shuts down. I have changed the following parts... Master Relay, distributor cap, plug wire and plugs. EGR valve, Idol control valve, catalityc converter. Any suggestion?? PLEASE HELP!!

Ryobi won't stay running [ 1 Answers ]

I have ryobi 30cc weedwacker that will start but stalls when you give it gas.I changed spark plug and fresh gas. Cleaned exhaust screen.

View more questions Search