Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeff Biskup Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Fan direction reversed by power surge
    I have a condenser fan on an existing Janitrol ckj36-1b condensing unit. The fan seems to have reversed direction, most likely from a power surge. There was a strong electrical storm last night and the fan is now blowing back down through the condenser, rather than drawing the air through the condenser.

The adjacent condensing unit is running fine.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any recommendations for solution?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 07:34 PM
    It is possible that you have a blown capacitor and the motor started in the wrong direction because of it. That is one thing. Does the motor seem to be running at full speed? And I will ask, knowing that you probably have tried several times to see if it starts in the same direction each time. There is a trick you can try to see if it might be the capacitor. Use a small stick and turn the fan in the right direction with the stick at the same instant start the condensing unit. Let me know what you find out.

Jul 5, 2007, 08:43 PM
    The motor runs full speed and starts consistently the wrong direction. I tried pre-spinning the blade, but it pulls back the wrong direction.

Also checked the motor rotation, and it is runner the opposite direction of what is written on the motor.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Some motors have a plug and some you have to change the wiring but usually you can change the rotation of the motor.

One of my old tricks with motors that did not have the capability to change directions was to take the motor apart and change the shaft to the other end. This way the magnet and armature are reversed and it will spin in the opposite direction. I do not recommend doing this if you do not know what you are doing.

Jul 5, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Have you ever seen a motor change running direction like this?

I don't have the equipment to test the capacitor. But I suppose I should pull it and have it tested, and be prepared to by a replacement motor if the capacitor is good.

Jul 5, 2007, 09:24 PM
    HVAC1000,

"Some motors have a plug." What does the plug look like? Does it have a cover that pops or twists off? Do you pull it and rotate it to switch polarity.

By the way. This IS a single phase application.

Thanks to all for your help.

Jeff

Jul 5, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Not without some kind of a phase change. Might try a capacitor but do not old your breath.

Jul 5, 2007, 09:25 PM
    The plug is just a two sided piece pluged in. You unplug and rotate 180 degrees and plug back in.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Some motors have a polarity changing ability that has four short wires coming out of the motor and two each of these wires are connected to change rotation you switch the wires . This is not the right colors but I am just using this to give you and idea. You may have a purple connected to an orange and a yellow connected to a pink. To change connect the pink to the purple and the orange to the yellow. Like I said this is not the right colors for you to use just an idea of how it works. The colors you should use is or may be printed on the side of the motor.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 07:24 PM
    I meant to mention that I have never seen a single phase motor change directions like you have described unless the Run, Start and Common connectors had been connected wrong, and if this did happen your motor would not run for very long without over heating and probably burning out.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 07:56 PM
    I assume the motor was running correctly before the storm, it is probably the motor and if you replace the motor I suggest you also replace the capacitor. Try a capacitor first. Mike

Jul 7, 2007, 07:12 AM
    After doing more research, I replaced the capacitor and that corrected the problem.

According to the parts guy, capacitor failures often cause the fan to run in reverse direction. So I was even more confident that would correct the problem when I purchased the capacitor.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Jeff

Jul 7, 2007, 07:58 AM
    How interesting. At least you had the time to mess around fixing it which is great. Usually in the field a working contractor does not have the luxury of time so we usually just replace the motor and the capacitor. This way there will not be a call back when the motor eventually fails.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I reverse ceiling fan direction? [ 18 Answers ]

We moved into our home that already had a very nice Hampton Bay ceiling fan installed, but we have no instruction manual... It is a model that has a remote control, with an up light, down light and lo-med-high settings for the fan. However, we have noticed that the way the fan is blowing (counter...

Ceiling fan direction: Summer vs. Winter [ 3 Answers ]

I moved recently and can't find my owners manual. But I remember it mentioned that you should have the fan direct air downward or upward depending on season. Does anyone know which way the fan should be pointing in the summer? Thanks.

Power surge in kitchen [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a home and I am noticing my 6 recessed kitchen lights surge every 10 seconds. Not to drastic by just enough to bother me. I now am also noticing my bathroom lights off the kitchen beginning to surge. Thanks Shawn

Ceiling Fan Direction [ 2 Answers ]

Which way should a ceiling fan turn for heating season, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

TV power surge [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: We had a wiring mishap... and our TV was connected to a 240 volt circuit. The resulting power surge seems to have fried the TV as it will not turn on... The receiver blew smoke out, but the VCR still works... Is there any help for the TV (internal fuse,reset?)? All 3 were connected. Thanks

View more questions Search