Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    errtra Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 12:16 PM
    30 amp double breaker so do I need 10/2 or 10/3 for an air conditioner?
    I plan to run a 12 foot dedicated line to a 240 service box for an AC that is 230/208, install a 30amp double breaker, I assume #10 wire, but 10/2 or 10/3?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 18, 2010, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by errtra View Post
    I plan to run a 12 foot dedicated line to a 240 service box for an AC that is 230/208, install a 30amp double breaker, I assume #10 wire, but 10/2 or 10/3?
    It all depends upon what the A/C unit says it needs for protection. It could be a 25 amp breaker. Always read the directions that are on the unit or on the install sheet. To large a breaker can eventually damage the unit since the protection rate will be to high. Number 10 will take 30 amps and you will need two power wires and a ground for 3 wires in total.
    errtra Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 05:48 PM
    Thanks - I receive the unit tomorrow but any online manuals, etc. for it do not seem to indicate anything about the wiring, etc. but perhaps when I get it it will say something,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Locate filter for Day & Night Furnace & Air-conditioner [ 4 Answers ]

I can't seem to locate the filter to change it on a Day & Night Furnace? Two blue panels on the lower front and only the upper panel comes off and that's where the pilot lights and stuff are. I need to change the filter for the air conditioning and it's a combo unit. Thanks, J

30 Amp Double Pole Breaker is hot and tripping [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I just got a Maytag Neptune Dryer a week ago. I have it plugged in to our old dryer outlet (which was replaced less than a year ago) which is 3 prong. The dryer voltage is 240 volts and I am running it on a 30 amp double pole breaker. The problem is, this is new electrical wiring and a...

Short chirping noise from breaker box when air conditioner kicks on [ 3 Answers ]

Is this a problem... just a very short chirp... I removed panel cover and could not find any charring or loose connections

Hot water heater on a double 20 amp breaker and is arcing. What causes this [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced a hot water heater which was already wired to a 2 pole 20 amp breaker. Recently the main started tripping, so I replaced the main breaker (100 amp). Now the water heater is buzzing and has some sparks in the back of the breaker. It is a mobile home (1991 redman) and has a white...

Air conditioner throwing the breaker [ 1 Answers ]

With the thermostat turned to OFF - when I reset my breaker to ON the air conditioner tries to start and all the lights dim and it throws the breaker. Had a technician in today and he at first said it was my breaker and than when I said that I had a cousin who could replace it - he said that he...

View more questions Search