Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khan11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 02:00 PM
    How to file ITIN # for my spose.
    I got married this year in Jan . I have a H1 visa and my wife is on H4 visa. My question is if I have to get the ITIN number for my wife . I Know there is W7 form . But I want to know what documents do I have to attached with that W7 form.

Can I apply now for my wife to get the ITIN # ? Or I have to wait for the next year when I will file my tax return.

If I have to file her ITIN number next year with my tax return . What forms are required .Please tell me detail
    Thanks
    Khan
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Normally, you will attach W7 for your spouse with your tax return. It you apply now, IRS may want to know why you want ITIN, and the application may be rejected unless you have a strong reason.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 09:42 AM
    MukatA is correct; you must have a compelling reason to request an ITIN without the tax return, such as needing the ITIN to open a bank account in your wife's name or for your wife to attend school. You will need a letter from the bank or school to attach to the Form W-7.

Additionally, you will need a notarized photocopy of her passport to prove her identity. You can get the photocopy notarized at most any bank (unless you live in California, which prohibits the notarization by state law).

If the local bank is NOT an option, contact the local IRS office. They will certify the passport photocopy and forward the forms to the IRS ITIN Processing Center in Austin, Texas.

Sep 4, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Thanks for your answers.Appreciate it. But other question is that when I will be filing the Tax return for the next year with my spouse as dependent and she doesnot have ITIN #.

So at that time do I need to attach my tax return form (which form can you tell exactly ) and W7 form and all the notarized copy to prove her identity .

So that's all I need to attach with Tax return and send it to IRS or do I need to attach some other things as well ?

Thanks again
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 11:42 AM
    First you get the passport photocopy notarized.

Then download Form W-7 from Internal Revenue Service, fill it out and print it off.

Staple the notarized photocopy to the Form W-7 and have your wife sign the Form W-7.

Complete the tax return (probably Form 1040). Complete the statement for your wife declaring that she is a non-resident spouse of a resident alien and that she chooses to be treated as a resident alien, and have her sign the statement. Staple the statement, and your W-2 to the Form 1040.

BOTH you and your wife must sign the Form 1040.

Paper clip the W-7 packet to the Form 1040 packet, and mail both to the ITIN Processing Center in Austin, Texas. The complete address is in the W-7 instructions.

Sep 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Thanks a lot! Appreicate it for such a detailed answer. This is what I was looking for.
    Thanks again.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO ITIN--How to File State tax for CA & WI [ 2 Answers ]

I have applied for ITIN for my wife when I filed for federal returns. But for filing state returns I do not have ITIN and I need to file for 2 states CA & WI :confused: What's the procedure for filing state taxes if I don't have ITIN for the following 2 states CA WI I will be getting...

How do I file with an ITIN. [ 1 Answers ]

My name is Sierra I am trying to file jointly with my husband but he has an ITIN and it will not process it through the online program that I am using. It says that the number that was entered is invalid, and it does not give me any tax credits for my children or him. What I want to know is if...

File tax without ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have filed the tax without my wife's ITIN. I am not aware of ITIN. I USED turbotax software. It said only SSN was missing. It doesn't said about the ITIN and W-7 form. The IRS paid me very little amount and said my wife's SSN was missing. I am waiting for their letter. After...

H1-B, spose on B1/B2, how to file tax? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am Nola. I hold H1-B. My boy friend(now my husband) visited me with B1/B2 visa, and stayed with me in NY since Aug 07 until Jan 08. We got married in Nov 07. My husband doesn't have income in the US and he doesn't have SSN and ITIN. What status I should use to maximize my tax return?...

ITIN and how to file [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I came to US in April 2006, my wife and Kid joined me in September 2006. My wife and kid don't have ITIN for them. When do I have to file for the ITIN and where? How do I specify the claims in W2. Because till September I was alone and then had my family here so would I have to claim for my...

View more questions Search