Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ammodean Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 08:10 AM
    Recessed Lights
    I would like to add some recessed lights above our couch. How to connect power to them when there is a second floor?
    Bart87 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 09:17 AM
    I'll begin the weigh-in.

You have a lot to consider... for instance, have you already thought about the circuit? Light cans, depending on the trim kit and the size, can hold up to 150W bulbs, or so.

Do you want these cans controlled by a wall switch that currently operates an overhead light / fan, or will it be controlled by a new switch?

You mentioned a second floor above the cans, do you have basement access below the wall where the switch is located? Is your power routed through the basement?
    ammodean Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the questions Bart87, there will be a new switch put in. There's a crawl space under the house. How would I run power from the cans to the switch when there's a second floor with no access between?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 05:55 PM
    If the fixture openings are close to each other and in line, you can use a 4,5, or 6 ft long drill bit , Greenlee makes one, to drill across joists, if needed.

Once you get to where the wall and ceiling meet, there usually a double layer of stud, and you will need to channel the drywall to drill up through this member to get up into the bay in line with the lights, to get the wire down into the basement.

Or,it is possible to couple two long drill bits together and drill up from the basement to drill through this upper member.

Locate the channel and drill up from the basement into that bay of the partition, and drop a string with a small amount of chain, you can hook the string and chain from the basement.

Then rise up from the basement into the switch using the same method.

There are "Old Work" type recess housings,designed to be installed completely through the fixture opening of 6 inches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Lighting [ 8 Answers ]

Need help with Recessed Lighting. The included picture is an electrical diagram I used in wiring up some recessed lighting. The switches used are 600w Dimmer Switches with push on/off feature. The problem is that on the center switch the dimming feature burns out consistently but I am still able...

Recessed lights [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting can lights in the basement. I can't decied whether or not to put drywall on the ceiling or this new drop ceiling its made of pvc it attaches right to the floor joists and the tiles clip in. you lose 1 inch. The confusing part is how do I put the can in to make up that inch or will the...

Recessed lights [ 7 Answers ]

Good morning everyone. Started project installing 4 recessed lights in family room. I am running a dedicated circuit just for the lights, composed of 12/2 with ground 20amp breaker And 1 switch My question is the switch is a single pole rated at 15 amp, is this switch safe and OK to use,...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

Recessed Lights Spacing & other questions [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I'm installing recessed lights in my basements finishing job, and I bought a bunch of cans at home depot. 12 to start with, but I'm sure I'll need more. My question is about the spacing for these recessed lights. I found a website that said I should space the lights between 6-8 feet apart for...

View more questions Search