Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 07:55 AM
    b&s 16hp engine
    Hi. First time user so will get to the point.
    I have an older 16hp ROPER garden tractor with a 16 hp engine.I have recently put in a set of rings(std.) and changed to an electronic coil.I have also had the valves ground.Now begin the problems.
    I have a hard time getting the engine to start.It will turn over fast but when it wants to fire the engine willstop dead as if it wants to turn backwards and then turn again and do the same thing.It might eventually start.I have tried to turn the coil around and it seems to make a difference on the spark.I have changed plugs to no avail.I have taken off the flywheel and the key is OK.It seems as if the engine is to far advanced by the why it is reacting.The new coil that I installed is a b&s # 398811.
    The model of my engine is 326431 TYPE 0144-01 CODE 7211221.
    I am at my wits end so any help someone can offer would greatly be appreciated.
    Thank you Larry.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Dec 26, 2006, 09:02 AM
    It sounds like either poor compression or you did not time cam to crank properly.
    bigo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    It sounds like either poor compression or you did not time cam to crank properly.
    I forgot to mention that the compression is 52#.I will have to check on the adjustment.Thanks
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2006, 02:16 AM
    So it turns over... then stops (its hitting the compression stroke then probably) then goes again...
    How old is the battery? Connections good? How's the starter? New, old, rebuilt?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 16hp vanguard [ 11 Answers ]

I have a simplicity mower (1998) with a 16hp vertical shaft vanguard v-twin engine (303777 1111-51). Yesterday, after running the mower with turbo bagger attachment (a little extra load on the engine), for about 20 minutes, I idled back the engine and it began belching large clouds of blue/white...

B&S 18.5hp Engine Failure... Warranty Rejected [ 4 Answers ]

Sixteen months ago I purchased a Poulan Pro 42" riding mower with a 18.5 Briggs and Stratton engine. The connecting rod snapped at 170 hours. Service center claims no warranty due to "improper maintenance". Technician claims intake tube from air filter to carb dirty causing oil contamination. I...

Briggs&Stratton engine 121602 [ 3 Answers ]

OK, Dh and I are havig a slight disgreement about the mower. It is a Murray, sold under the Scotts brand in 2000, with a briggs and stratton 6.5 hp engine number 121602. Now, a cable broke, the one from the handle that kills it when you let go, and it sat outside for a month while we got the...

B&S-13.5 HP engine - loose valve seat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Briggs & Stratton 13.5 HP L head engine that has suddenly seems to have an overheating problem. It stopped mowing one day when my wife was using it, and I found that the keeper had come off the intake valve. The intake valve stem looked a little dinged up, so I got a new valve stem and...

Briggs & stratton 16hp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Cub Cadet which had a 16hp BS motor with points. It went bad so I found another 16hp BS that does not have points, it has the magnetron ignition. I am having trouble getting it to fire, is there something that I need to change to the wiring to make it fire. The magnetron engine came...

View more questions Search