Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louella7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2010, 06:03 PM
    Safe medicines for dogs
    My dog has allergies he just turned 4 and ways about 17 pounds he is a boston terrier I need to know if I can give him human allergy medications and what ones
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 06:09 PM

Has your dog been to a vet to get this looked at? What is your dog doing? Itching? Has he been checked for fleas, mange, etc?

Either way if he is really bothering you can give Benadryl to dogs. The dose is about 1mg per pound, given every 8 or so hours as needed. You can go up to 2mg, so a 17lb dog should probably take 20mg. However, you should get in contact with your vet as this should only be something to relieve his issues until a cause is found.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    Has your dog been to a vet to get this looked at? What is your dog doing? Itching? Has he been checked for fleas, mange, etc?

Either way if he is really bothering you can give Benadryl to dogs. The dose is about 1mg per pound, given every 8 or so hours as needed. You can go up to 2mg, so a 17lb dog should probably take 20mg. However, you should get in contact with your vet as this should only be something to relieve his issues until a cause is found.
    I have a different opinion. The fillers in human medications can include such things as xanthine which is toxic to canines. Maybe Benadryl is different, but I say let the vet decide.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 07:20 PM

Benadryl is different. Often we send clients to the pharmacy for it, so they don't have to pay more through us.
    If you go through any veterinary pharmacy, 90% of the medications on the shelf are human medications, from antibiotics to immunosuppressants (I know I've gone to the local hospital to pick up a medication we need for a client but we have run out of.. ). Only medications that don't exist in human medicine really are the exceptions.

I DO wish they made more medications specifically for animals, because it would be awesome to check the label and get a dose instead of going to the drug book... because most medications we have give you human doses, which are totally different.

(I don't usually give out doses for over the counter medications that can be given to animals, but in a case like this, I'd rather he get the correct dose, than not get an answer and just guess, or go looking elsewhere and finding something incorrect.. )
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Apr 8, 2010, 08:10 PM

I was at the emergency animal hospital last week and my dog was prescribed Benadryl at the dosage mentioned above by Sariss. My regular vet told me a few days later that every dog owner should keep Benadryl on hand and be familiar with the correct dosage for their dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is Advantage safe for small dogs? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello- I am new to the forum and have a quick question. If anyone could provide any insight, I would appreciate it. We had a 3 year old Pomapoo join our family about a month and a half ago, and upon bringing him home discovered that he had a major flea problem. It was so bad that if you parted...

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Is there such a thing as a morning after pill for dogs and is it safe? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there such a thing as a morning after pill for dogs and is it safe?

Human medicines safe and unsafe for dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I've read where people have given asprins to their pets and other meds, I thought I'd post this site, thought it may be helpful to some. http://www.diamondpaws.com/health/drugs.htm

Safe repellant against pooping dogs [ 2 Answers ]

:) undefinedI need a repellant formula to deter stray dogs from pooping on my lawn.

View more questions Search