Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JRNielsen Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 01:04 PM
    Sears riding lawn mower electrical failure
    I was driving my lawn tractor up a ramp into a truck. It shut down suddenly. No lights. It won't turn over at all. The fuse is OK and the battery isn't dead. Any ideas what would cause the electrical system to shut off?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 01:11 PM

Is there power to both sides of the keyswitch when it is in the "on" position?

Apr 29, 2010, 05:01 PM
    There is power on some of the leads in the harness going to the switch but it is a six lead harness so I'm not sure which are the sides of the switch.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 09:00 PM

Hi,
    A bit vague, what do you own? Make and model?
    Peace,
    Clarke

May 2, 2010, 04:28 AM

It is a 2001 Craftsman 917.272082 lawn tractor. 17 HP. The battery is low, not dead. The problem is not that the battery is dead. The tractor shut down as I was driving it up a ramp into a truck and now it won't do anything. The lights should work even with low battery, and they don't. The ampmeter should flicker when you turn the key, but it does nothing.
    vincereader Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    A bit vague, what do you own? Make and model?
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Hello Crigby;

I'm trying to figure out how to troubleshoot the safety switches on riding mowers. Do you know where I can find the theory of operation or wiring schematics so I can read and understand how the wiring and switches are are supposed to operate. Or can you possible tell me. I understand electricity and can use a volt meter, It would just be helpful if I had a theory of operation.

Thank You!

Vince

[email protected]
    Pettitt1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2011, 08:36 AM
    Hi, I read the question about their lawn mower shutting off while loading it up, I've recently eexperienced the same thing and I figured it is related to the PTO switch. Something with that is draining the battery as I've had to recharge the battery several times while mowing the same time. A few times the mower pto would not engage, thus I checked fuses, wiggled several wires and was able to get it to work. Problem is there are several relays, wires, etc. to check. Does anyone know what specifically I should replace or what the issue is?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

How to put a belt on sears riding lawn mower? [ 2 Answers ]

How does the belt go on the mowing deck of Sears riding lawn mower? Sears gt 16H.P. twin model #5022536208044

Sears Lawn Riding Mower [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone ever had a problem with a Sears riding mower blade disengagement?

Sears Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower Blade adjustment [ 1 Answers ]

My Sears Craftsman 42" cut riding lawnmower has 2 blade decks. With the height adjustment lever in the highest position (or in any position), the left blade/deck cuts lower than the right. How do I adjust the left blade deck/blade to a higher position?l

View more questions Search