Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ant123253 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Dec 19, 2006, 12:16 AM
    Puppy won't walk
    We recently found a 5 month old pomeranian on our doorstep, after taking it to the vet to see if it was microchipped we found she had not been. At first she was scared of everyone, shaking and shivering when we got too close but now she is much better and is not afraid of us anymore. But I do have a problem, when we try taking her for a walk she will not move and I have to drag her, I have tried treats and letting the leash go but she either won't move or goes back home. Can you give me any advice please!
    heathervettechCa Posts: 43, Reputation: 6

Dec 19, 2006, 12:22 AM
    Well... See here's the thing. The owner before you most likely carried her everywhere. Puppy training takes time. You should start slow. First off, avoid carrying her around too much, she will get lazy and won't want to walk for you if she knows you will carry her everywhere. Secondly, don't drag her. Animals learn by positive and negative re-enforcement,meaning, if they associate being dragged every time they are to go for a walk, they will eventually get upset every time you bring out the leash. So continue to work with her and call an animal behavioralist. They will be able to guide you in the right direction.
    Good luck!
    Heather
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 05:14 AM
    I have had more trouble with my Holly this fall than any other puppy. What I have found works, is dropping back to her and running in baby steps while calling ''Go, go, go!'' in a happy, excited voice. Once she gets moving, she pulls, so have her in Gentle Leader. At 4 months, she is beginning to do much better. I really hate the baby step thing in a public place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy won't walk on leash [ 4 Answers ]

My three month old puppy won't walk on a leash, as soon as I hook her leash up she just ducks and stays close to the ground and even tries pulling away sometimes. I if carry her away from the house and put her down with the leash attached she will go back to the house but that is the only time she...

Puppy won't walk on a leash [ 1 Answers ]

How do you get a puppy to walk on a leash. He is very scared of it. I have attached it to his collar and let him just walk around with it dragging behind but that hasn't helped his "fear" of the leash. He just won't budge. I have tried to give him treats also to get him to walk. STUBBORN! He...

Puppy doesn' walk on leash! [ 19 Answers ]

I just got an 8week old Great Dane puppy, and I have been taking her out on a regular basis to try to get used to her leash, and she won't walk. She just sits there and won't budge! I have tried treats and encouragement, but she still won't get up or walk. I don't know what to do about it.

Puppy won't eat [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 seven week old lab puppys, and had them for 2 weeks now but in the last four days one of them isn't been eating his dog food but will try and get whatever I am eating myself I have tried different types of dog food but no change, can anyone help?

Depressed puppy won't do anything [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Just got my 3 month old lab mix today. She is very lazy and depressed. She won't come to me when I stand up, and hardly comes to be with I sit on the floor and call her. I want to know if my dog is depressed, adjusting. I hope she is just going through a phase. But if anyone have any...

View more questions Search