Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smknjojo50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 04:55 PM
    2002 dodge ram air conditioner only cools when driving
    I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 air cond. Problem. With air turned to max cool at idle it puts out hot air. When I drive it cools slightly. I charged the system myself about a year ago. Very cool air at first. About a year later it got warm again, I charged it again but it wouldn't take much coolant,seems to be full. Now it remains hot unless I drive down the freeway at 60.it cools sightly. Also at night while driving it acctually gets very cool. Does anyone out there relate to any of this?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 04:59 PM

A bad compressor will normally show the inability to generate enough suction and pressure at idle speeds. If the engine speed needs to be increased substantially to bring pressures in range, it's a sign the compressor is weak. The typical complaint is, "It only cools when the engine is revved or when driving down the road." It's often simple. If we hook, for example, the gauges up and see 80 psi on the low and high sides and the compressor hub is spinning, the compressor is shot. It's not producing suction or pressure. We could add more refrigerant and nothing would change. Compressors must be able to pull a vacuum and create pressure.
    Fear09 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 07:25 PM
    A/c cools when driving but warm when at idle... why

Aug 2, 2011, 07:27 PM
    While charging a/c the low side read 45-55 and high side read 450psi why?

Aug 2, 2011, 07:31 PM
    What's the purpose of the high pressure switch on my 2002 dodge ram 1500

Aug 2, 2011, 07:33 PM
    What does a high pressure switch do
    Dentmon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
    If your A/C is only working when above 20 mph check fuse number 39 should be a 25 amp on 2002 dodge ram 1500 3.7L if that's good turn your A/C on full blast and see if your condenser fan (small fan next to fuse box) is running it should run non stop when A/C is on if not running replace the condenser fan. Check eBay they are from $75.00 to $190.00 a lot cheaper than parts stores well here in NY.

Jun 29, 2012, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fear09 View Post
    What does a high pressure switch do

The high-pressure cutout switch serves 2 purposes.
    1) It kicks on the high speed fan when the pressure gets sufficiently high.
    2) It cuts off the compressor clutch just before the refrigerant is about to discharge from the relief valve.

Jun 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fear09 View Post
    A/c cools when driving but warm when at idle...why
    If your A/C is only working when above 20 mph check fuse number 39 should be a 25 amp on 2002 dodge ram 1500 3.7L if that's good turn your A/C on full blast and see if your condenser fan (small fan next to fuse box) is running it should run non stop when A/C is on if not running replace the condenser fan. Check eBay they are from $75.00 to $190.00 a lot cheaper than parts stores well here in NY

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Air Conditioner Cools Intermittently [ 2 Answers ]

I have a roof mounted carrier unit that cools only intermittently. When it isn't blowing cool air, the fan still works. The little research I have done suggests it might be a mere matter of cleaning the coils. If this is the case, what would be the best way to do this? Otherwise, what might be...

Dodge ram air conditioner [ 6 Answers ]

I have an 2007 ram 3500 and after trying to charge it I found that the gauge read full and the compressor will not engauge. Is there a relay other than the 10 amp fuse or is there a way to check the compressor for power? The compressor does turn by hand

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, heater air is not blowing on Driver side [ 0 Answers ]

When I turn on the heater the air is not blowing hot air on the driver side. Also there seems to always be cool air blowing on the passanger floor board. No matter what selection I change too, it is about the same. Can you please advise. Thanks, Tony

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Air Conditioner Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have an 2003 Dodge Ram and I am having an issue with the Air Conditioner. The Air is cold but it does not blow out very strong even on maximum. This past winter if someone was riding in the passenger seat they would complain that they could feel cold air coming from the passenger side...

2002 Dodge ram [ 1 Answers ]

My truck will crank and sounds real good, but it will not stay running, even if I try to press the accelerator. It just dies. Any ideas on what could be wrong and the least expensive things to check first?

View more questions Search