Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnCurry555 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 02:09 PM
    Fan randomly blows (though it's turned off) on a Trane XR401
    Hi everybody. Got a hopefully small problem with my heat at home, and I'm hoping somebody can give me a hand.

My thermostat is a Trane XR401, connected up to a Trane outdoor unit, and both were new and professionally installed last April. The heat and A/C both work fine.

However, this winter the fan has occasionally switched on (even though it's turned off), and it'll blow some super cold air around the house. For example, say the thermostat's set at 65 overnight. It'll keep it there until I wake up and put it to 70 or so, and it will heat the house fine to 70. So, the internal temp reads 70 on the thermostat, and the system shuts off. All groovy. But then, 20 minutes later, the fan will turn on (even though it doesn't read fan "on" on the display) and blow some cold air around, until eventually the heat will kick back in to bring the temp back up.

My thermostat only offers fan ON and fan OFF, no fan AUTO. So, any ideas what's going on? Thanks for any and all help!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 05:22 PM
    There is a sensor OR a item sometimes called a fan control that operates the units fan during the heating cycle. If this item is out of adjustment or needs to be replaced you will sometimes experience phantom blower operation. In a nut shell this is caused by residual heat left in the heat exchange area after the blower first turns off. This heat can build up after a short time and activate the blower motor again.

Another possibility is the blower is operated by an electronic timer device. If this is defective it can also allow phantom blower cycles. Unless you have the knowledge and the proper tools these faults can be difficult to find and a on site visit from your local HVAC company might be the way to go unless you feel qualified to do it yourself.
    johnair77 Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 06:56 PM

Primary or secondary limit opening maybe?
    JohnCurry555 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 05:48 AM

Thanks for the responses

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7.3 diesel IDM fuse blows as soon as key is turned to on position [ 1 Answers ]

I have checked all harnesses from valve covers to ecm I was told IDM controler was on fire wall under dash under seat on floor plan? Thanks M

Trane xr80 blows cold air and does not ignite [ 0 Answers ]

I have an Trane XR80, it is blowing cold air, and it looks like it is trying to ignite but it does not.

Trane XE80 blows cold error code 22 [ 5 Answers ]

From my earlier post ignite for a few seconds the stops, now, heat commanded, blower motor runs, no ignition, and flashes code 22 Help!

Trane XE1000- won't cool, blows, [ 3 Answers ]

Manufactured in 2000, 40 rated fuse outside next to unit, 45 at main power box, won't cool, hear light buzz or hum from external unit, I can replace anything needs replacing on the outside, on a budget, need to know what to trouble shoot, seems fuses are good. :mad:

Trane XR13 not heating or Cooling but Blower Blows [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane XR13 Heat Pump. It has been installed for 1 year and 2 months. Yesterday I came home and noticed the Air was not cool. I tried turning it off and on then tried the heat and noticed it as well did not heat up. The outside unit is running and the inside blower is running but the...

View more questions Search