Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Firefly1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2011, 01:47 AM
    Two Thirds Majority
    We have a meeting this evening to vote on a resolution. This resolution was set in place in 1995 - but not by a two thirds majority. It was still passed. First question - was the vote in 1995 legal as it wasn't the 2/3rds majority it should have been? Second question. The resolution is clearly written in law. Do we vote to revoke the resolution and need to have a 2/3rds majority to revoke, or do we revote on the resolution again, as written and need a two thirds majority to pass the resolution.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2011, 03:30 AM

Who is we? You need to give more background here.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 3, 2011, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly1234 View Post
    ... First question - was the vote in 1995 legal as it wasn't the 2/3rds majority it should have been? ...
    See the questions below. You have already told us that it needed 2/3 to pass, but if you are not sure, tell us more.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly1234 View Post
    ... The resolution is clearly written in law. Do we vote to revoke the resolution and need to have a 2/3rds majority to revoke, or do we revote on the resolution again, as written and need a two thirds majority to pass the resolution.
    What do you mean that it "is clearly written in law"? Cleary written as "easy to understand"? Doesn't matter. If it required a 2/3 vote and didn't get it, the resolution never happened, so you wouldn't revoke it; you would have to attempt again to adopt it. And if that vote needs a 2/3rds vote, so be it. Also, consider your quorum requirements: whether it is 2/3 of those present and voting, or 2/3 of those entitled to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Who is we? You need to give more background here.
    Doesn't this belolng in the Corporation Law sub-forum?

I assume "we" is a corporation. We would have to know the jurisdiction (state if in the U.S.) in which the corporation is organized.

We also should know whether you are talking about the board of directors or the shareholders.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Executors of a Will. Does a simple majority determine the course of action? [ 5 Answers ]

Dear all, I am one of four executors (three are family members and a lawyer) of my late fathers estate. Recently one executor (the lawyer) has been very hard to reach and decisions re the estate must be made. The three remaining family member executors are all in agreement on the course of...

Majority child [ 8 Answers ]

I finally located a daughter after 28 years(her mother said she WASN'T mine even though we were married at the time) had a DNA test done, she is indeed mine. She now says the only way we can have a relationship is if I pay 18 years back child support. I am a disabled combat vet, can she sue me for...

Does the majority rule in the USA? [ 39 Answers ]

All my life I have heard that this is a country in which majority rules. Is this true, or is it something assumed without evidence?

Veto Proof Majority [ 45 Answers ]

Hello: I think the S-chip debacle finally sealed the fate of the Republicans. It WAS, after all, pretty MEAN of them. In their attempt to create a permanent majority of Republicans, I think they're going to create a permanent majority of Democrats. The Dems need about 9 Senate seats to...

View more questions Search