Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Darkwin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 07:24 AM
    Can I forgive my chick friend?
    My friend is girl and we have known each other for 4 years now... the 1st time we met we were making out but I had mentioned to her that, I don't want a relationship... as time went by I decided to we should cut it out and just be close friends... she waz kind of okay with it.. I did evrythng to make her know that I appreciate her... gave her a Great birthday present but after her b-day that's in July last year she was like avoiding me... I decided just to forget that and just try to make her know she will always be my closest friend but still she was like avoiding me and in January I was going through tough financial and also family issues & SHE WAS NOT THERE FOR ME that's when I decided its time for me to move on.After 2 months she Texts me asking why I've been silent... I Xplained why and she reply its because SHE STILL HAD FEELINGS FOR ME & SHE HAD TO TAKE TIME OFF and kthat we should get back together but this time as BEST FRIENDS FOREVER! Can I forgive her??
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 11:17 AM
    I guess it all depends upon your definition of friendship.

A good friend is just that. They are they when you need them, and you're there when they need you. It's keeping in touch, making time for each other, sharing lives, activities, memories, etc.

Like any relationship, it has its boundaries, expectations, and problems. While the silent treatment from her happened after her Birthday, about this time last year, you were left floundering and could have used a friend when you ran into difficulty. She was not there for you.

Now suddenly she is.

If it were me, I would consider her a fairweather friend. Not a best friend. If it is convenient for her to be your friend, for whatever reason, she is. If she has better things, people, places to check out and dumps you cold, she's around only when it suits her. Also not a friend.

IF the two of you can talk this out, and sort out what went wrong, maybe the friendship can begin again. It's important that you know what she expects, and what you expect. The top of my list would be not to be treated like she had treated you, ever again. That would require honesty on her part. Then again, if you can't trust a friend to be honest with you, what's the point.
    hidden123 Posts: 153, Reputation: 51

Jul 6, 2011, 02:03 PM
    You should take into consideration, that although she was "sort of ok" with you being friends - her feelings were most likely stronger and she needed time to herself to sort things out.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 05:16 PM

Of course you can forgive her because she needed time to get over her disappointment and rejection by you.

How would you feel if a female you really liked and wanted to love had said "let just be good friends".

But I caution you my friend, just like she was kind of okay with this be friends suggestion before, but couldn't handle it, then she could very well still have those feelings but think she is ready for what you want. Friendship. But what she really wants is to keep you in her life, and if a friendship is to work, then you both have to be able to talk honestly. Plus I see a very big red flag with trying to make her a friend that can be there through your bad times, and be upset that she cannot.

You seem to show no empathy, and understanding of the feelings of others, only your own, and that's not being a good friend either. So maybe you get your own head together and don't make this just about your definition of friendship, but find out what hers is also.

Maybe you cannot be friends. At least not just on your terms.But you can forgive her past actions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I forgive my friend? [ 2 Answers ]

Today in school we got are yearbooks we were all happy until my best friend started telling me and my other good friend that we should go out a month before I liked her and told my best friend that I liked her. I bothered her by writing in her year book that her and another boy should go out to get...

Hey my best friend wants to get with this chick she's taken what should he do? [ 1 Answers ]

Best friend wants to get with this chick she's taken what should he do? The girl is 15 and her boy friend is to. My friend Lesly wants to get with her they are friends and they are going to the school formal together(only people in Lesly's year and school can go the boyfriend does not) well the...

Should I Forgive My Friend Even Though She's Not Said "Sorry"? [ 5 Answers ]

My good friend of 4 years moved up to my city about a month ago. Up until then I saw her every few months for weekends as she lived in other towns with her now soon to be ex husband. A gorgeous guy I had been on a few dates with suddenly stopped returning my calls or texting me even though...

View more questions Search